Summy House Restaurant & Brew

Recent Reviews for Summy House Restaurant & Brew
April 20, 2008
Heidi M.
Manheim , Pennsylvania
I strongly disagree with Charles C. My fiancee and I have been frequent customers of Summy House since September of 2007. When I say frequent I'm talking 2-3 times a month. I love their food! The service is out of this world. We are such frequent customers we are on first name basis with the Head Chef, The servers and the Owner. Some of the things we like about Summy House. Rick the owner is there from the time it opens until it closes. He ALWAYS from day one had made frequent rounds to our table. ONE time I complained to Rick about my steak... He brought Chad out and had a discussion with Chad about my dish. NEVER again had I had a complaint. Rick runs a tight ship there and he aims to please his customers. My fiancee and I are the types that love to eat at nice places. We've eaten at the Log Cabin (HATED IT), Stockyard Inn (Service was LOUSY), Netherlands Inn and Spa (Food portions was sad), Christophers (great food, great service)... But since we've been to Summy House w ... more
January 26, 2008
Charles C.
manheim , Pennsylvania
Had a business lunch there several weeks ago. Worst experience ever. We were the only table in the restaurant yet somehow they managed to screw up all three of our meals. Food was terrible and service was a joke.
December 16, 2005
I've eaten at The Summy House four times and in my view it's one of the best restaurants in the greater Lancaster area. The dishes I've had have all been well-conceived, well-seasoned and appropriately prepared (medium rare salmon WAS medium-rare when it came to the table. And the ingredients were obviously fresh and high-quality. This is real food, prepared by someone who pays attention to quality and cares about what he's doing. My mother loves the Shrimp Scampi and I've had crab cakes several times--both nicely prepared. I would have liked to see some more variety in desserts (more fruit, less chocolate and dairy would have provided some diversity) and a broader range of wines. But, all in all, a very respectable meal and reasonable quality for the money. It's hard to do better in Lancaster, especially at this price range.
February 22, 2003
My disclaimer for my review:I was coming down with Bronchitis the night we ate there, so to be fair to this restaurant, I felt I needed to mention it. We had the crab dip for one of our appetizers, and we all really liked it. I think all the appetizers were good, although, I don't remember what the others were. Then I got the entree (which I had been looking forward to, since we'd decided to dine there, weeks before). Coconut shrimp. This dish was very disappointing. The breading on the shrimp was soggy and blah. The dip for the shrimp was overly sweet and the plaintains (I think that's what they were), were just yucky --> and I like plantains normally. I wasn't wild about the atmosphere, because it pretty much didn't have any. I don't think I would apply the word "classy"... maybe as relative to a bar and grill... but on it's own, not so much. To be fair, I was coming down with a really bad bout of Bronchitis, so in ... more
August 9, 2000
Jay P.
Lebanon , Pennsylvania
Almost reminds me of a Bar and Grill, but it is a little more classy. The service was good, along with the food being good for the price. Parking is a little on the small side, so that might be a hassle, but hey almost everything in Manheim is small. Good food, and a great atmosphere.