Gervais

Recent Reviews for Gervais
May 16, 2007
Sandra W.
new york , Florida
Try the Italian sausage and pepperoni! It can get crowded on weekends! But well worth the wait!
May 29, 2006
Le Mouton Noir closed since about 2003 and have been replaced by Gervais, a traditional French restaurant. Gervais serves classic French cuisine including Escargots, Foie Gras, Onion Soup, Bouillabaisse, Braised Duck Breast, Braised Rabbit, Sole Meuniere, etc. Same address, same phone number. Excellent food and service and very reasonable prices. Check it out yourself: http://www.gervaisrestaurant.com.
January 12, 2002
Jason F.
Sunnyvale , California
Been there about a half dozen times, and it's always been consistantly great. Starting in 2000, business has been slower there (because of economy), so maybe service improved since then. End of 2001, I was only seeing a few other tables served during what should have been peak time. They said their landlord may raise the rent, and they may have to move, but they should still be in business with the same phone number. We've received special service on half our visits including complimentary Champagne, wine, and dessert. One of the waiters is very knowledgable of wines. After mentioning our interest in cooking one time, the waiter one time invited the patisserie to come out and talk to us. I think we've always just ordered le menu, and haven't been disappointed in anything yet. Been to all the restaurants in Saratoga and this is our favorite. -Jason
January 5, 2001
Bart B.
Charlottesville , Virginia
This place is WAY overpriced for the poor level of service delivered. The waiter was jovial, but relatively inattentive. We had to request the wine list, request water twice, etc. In recollecting the specials, he mentioned casoulet with lamb which I ordered. Turns out the lamb was chicken. When I asked him about it, he indicated he though he had said it was duck. Basically, if you can't remember the specials, feel free to write them down! I was not really in the mood for beans with sausage slices and backed chicken. The dish lacked all of the subtleties that a good casoulet has. Pleasant aroma from the beans, spices, etc. This place appears to have gone way down hill from where it once was.
July 25, 2000
Lucie K.
We loved this place! We live within walking distance but never had gone here before because we thought it would be too stuffy. We were underdressed but we were treated no differently. The food was spectacular with a wonderful presentation. I had rack of lamb cooked to perfection. We would definitely go there again. A very nice experience!
June 21, 2000
Though I read a lot of negative comments, I found they are doing quite well. Food is still very nice and their service is not that bad. IMHO, I choose LMN over Sent Sovi.
December 19, 1999
First thing we are told for our Anniversary dinner before being seated it that we must vacate the table by a certain time. A very rude introduction to a restaurant we had never been to before. Le Mouton Noir was selected for our Anniversary celebration because of previous reviews in Zagat. We felt rushed the entire evening, even though this admonition gave us 2 hours to dine. And 2 hours for one couple is plenty of time. But, the restaurant's desire to turn our table was evident. Each course was served within a few minutes of the previous course. The food was merely mediocre. We both started with the Caeser salad. The presentation was nice, but the Caesar dressing was awful. Mine had a bitter flavor with a hint of lemon. My wife's was to strong from the Anchovie paste. My wife ordered the Filet Mignon ($34). She asked for it to be Medium Well. It came out Medium Rare/Medium. But, it was very tasty and flavorful ... more
February 20, 1998
Michael F.
California
It was a Friday night. From the time we stepped in until the time we left, the experience was uncomfortable and irrating. The rude waiter used undue influence to sell the champaigne. When I ordered the souffle, I got two instead of one. I was told after the fact that the minimum was two. Perhaps this could be explained as being snobby high-end cuisine. Not so, the food itself was most uninspired. It is a crime to treat customers so poorly for the amount of $$$$ spent. Oh, this wasn't the first time I've visited. I don't think this was just a bad-hair day for L-M-N. This establish has systemic problems.
January 13, 1998
Sadly, while the food is still good, the quality, service and friendliness have suffered under the new management. Food prices are up as well. For better food, consider Sent Sovi, across the street. The Plumed Horse, also across the street has improved over the last couple of years and is another alternative.
October 26, 1997
Greg B.
We ate here last night and found it to be consistent with the other reviews. I nice little place with excellent food though no bargain. The appetizers were and excellent smoked salmon -not for those with high blood pressure and three mushroom melange which was excellent. The entrees were tuna which should be served on the side of the noodles, duck which was good but a little overrated, and a superb ostrich which gave us qualms but was the best entree of the lot. Desserts were a good bread pudding and a superb soufle. Total was $60 per person including corkage and tip. Waiter looked down his nose at the 88 Becheville I brought but he should have taken me up on my offer of a taste before rendering a snobish judgement. Balance of service was not problematic.