Spiedo

San Mateo, CA

Category: Californian

Recent Reviews for Spiedo
July 21, 2006
Well, prices have gone up, unfortunately little else has changed. We thought we'd give it a shot since it's close by, but yech. The food was merely mediocre, and the dining room was rather dark and dingy - with dirt on the walls and tatty table clothes. The bathroom was downright gross. Save your money and pass this place by.
October 3, 2004
Based on the reviews here my hubby & I were certainly expecting an above average dining experience & what we got was very basic tasting food & mediocre service not to mention the worst lemonade I have ever tasted! I had to exchange it for an iced tea cause it tasted like they used water from a porta-potty! Maybe this is a better place for carnivores, but for vegetarians this place sucks! I got the vegetable raviolis and my hubby got the gnocchi w/ Gorgonzola cream sauce. Mine was bland and nothing special and was about $13. His looked better and was baked in the plate and tasted good, but again nothing special. Considering the night before we had dined at Mezza Luna at Princeton by the Sea and got close to the same pasta dishes (w/ just a few minor exceptions ingredients wise) and were super impressed and also paid between $2-$4 less for each plate there and Mezza Luna is by far a much more classy upscale place to dine then Spiedo's. Speido's didn' ... more
June 13, 2002
Lana V.
san fransisco , California
Dinner on tuesday night was wonderful. It was one of our hottest days yet this season so the open store-front was refreshing Due to the heat our appetites took awhile to kick in. Our female server was verty knowledgable & extremely patient with us. We shared the house salad that was more than ample and delicious. The walnuts were a nice touch! My dining companion had the risotto of the day & I, the wood grilled Alaskan Halabut topped with a tropical salsa. The sweetness (pineapple) surprised me but it worked! Mashed potatoes, green (chard?orspinach?) accompanied. All in all it was a very clean & professional venue & staff.
November 2, 2001
I've been here a couple times. It's good, but nothing special. For about the same prices, I've had better meals at A Piacere and A Tavola in San Carlos or Cafe La Scala in Burlingame. The service at Spiedo is great, but one of the waiters is my neighbor, so my experience might be better than typical. I agree that this is a safe bet if you have to eat in San Mateo and don't want to take any chances.
April 18, 1996
Decent place with good wine list. Food was good/solid if but nothing fancy. Would recommend as a good standby place in a pinch for dependable place to go.
March 10, 1996
Very good choice for the San Mateo Area.