Nipa Pon Thai Cuisine

Category: Thai

Recent Reviews for Nipa Pon Thai Cuisine
April 14, 1998
Greg B.
This place has lived up to its reputation. I have been here for lunch at least five times. Every time I order something different and its better than the last thing I had on the menu. The spicy soups are excellent as are the seafood in a coconut sauce. They are very careful to adjust the level of spice to your taste.
January 14, 1998
My husband and I tried this restaurant based on the reviews here about a year ago. We have been back at least half a dozen times since, and have enjoyed each visit. The atmosphere is unremarkable and the crowds nonexistent. Take-out works well. We love: the Satay Chicken appetizers. Order a couple for a great entree. The meat is always juicy and tender. The peanut sauce, silk; the cucumber salad, well executed tart counterpoint. We ordered a bunch for a party once, and the quality remained high. Also delish: the barbeque pork and the Mussamun mild beef coconut-based curry with lots of potatoes, tomatoes and other vegetables. A disappointing fair to mediocre: Coconut galanga chicken or shrimp soup -- especially compared to the flaming version served at our favorite Phoenix restaurant.
January 10, 1997
Mark S.
This is the first time I've actually used BARG to plan a dinner for a large group (6) of people. I looked for a Thai restaurant in San Mateo, and went here based on the above reviews. I must say we were not disappointed! In fact I printed out this page and ordered some of the suggestions above. Normally I don't leave a review after one visit, but we ordered 3 appetizers and 6 entrees, and I got to sample them all. Everything was extremely tasty and prepared excellently. Of course some were better than others, and I really liked the calamari and satay chicken appetizers. The pad thai, red curry chicken, and combination seafood w/oyster sauce were also very good. Also, I enjoyed the pork dish we got (can't remember the name, but it was the first menu listing under "pork"). Overall everyone in our group enjoyed the food very much. I definitely am looking forward to another visit! Also agreed with the above reviews on 2 points: (1) the portions are not huge, especially the appetizers, bu ... more
November 24, 1996
Michael C. B.
A perfectly reasonably Thai restaurant, probably the best in San Mateo, but not really up to the quality of some of the best in the Bay Area. It's a friendly, neighborhood-type place, though, and I wouldn't hesitate to send someone there for a reasonably-priced lunch or dinner. The food is nicely prepared, but sometimes the menu descriptions are not quite accurate, and on a couple of occasions, two dishes that sound significantly different on the menu turned out to be identical except for the meat ingredient. Also, the portions are a bit on the small side (but they're cheap, so order an extra dish or two for a party of 4 or 5).
October 8, 1996
Eiji H.
This is a very good Thai restaurant. All their dishes have a very flavorful and distinct taste. The decor was sedate and dignified. Some parts of the ceiling are semi-opaque skylights, giving the whole place a cool and airy feeling. The waitress was very friendly. Incredible food, reasonable prices, nice and relaxing atmosphere combine to make a great eating experience. I'll probably go back there many many times.
August 6, 1996
My favorite Thai restaurant in the Bay Area, tho I must admit to not being to that many. The fried calamari appetizer is a must -- the batter is perfectly crispy and not too heavy or too light. My boyfriend always gets one of the red curry w/ chicken dishes and pad thai, and tho the food isn't spiced very strongly (there are many spicier Thai restaurants around), he claims that the flavor is very good, and you can always ask for a condiment tray of hot peppers to add. I've tried several entrees here with mixed success, but I guess that my good memories of the fried calamari overcome everything!
April 28, 1996
I eat take out here once or twice a week for lunch. Good food, reasonable prices, very friendly staff.
April 12, 1996
A very friendly place, but not intrusively cloying. I especially like the gai pad prik, and the soups are quite good also.
March 19, 1996
My favorite Thai food place in town. Personal recommendations - Chicken Wing appettizers, good compromise of the silver noodles with a decent amount of meat; the Kai Gai soup, very yummy broth and there is a minimum of the bark, leaves, etc. that you usually have to pick out; red chili prawns are very tasty; the duck dish is very good and lacks the usual greasiness of most duck dishes; finally, if you like really spicy food, the emerald curry dishes are definitely worth trying.