Fish Market

August 18, 2007
Nancy S.
San Francisco , California
247 reviews , 1 photo
Maybe it's because I am used to great fish restaurants in San Francisco like Scoma's, but this restaurant was a bit of a disappointment. We sat outside, which was lovely. We ordered a shrimp louis and a crab louis, and we were told by our waiter that the portions were very large. Well, he was sooo wrong. The salads were ok. The seafood was fresh and good, but it was a rather small portion. The tomatoe was soft, and the lettuce was a mix of greens that we did not care for. Everyone there seemed to be enjoying themselves, but for my money I'd much rather go to a good seafood restaurant in SF.
January 26, 2002
Ken I.
Castro Valley , California
Just had dinner with friends and ordered a bowl of New England Clam Chowder and the Mesquite Charbroiled Hawaiian Opakapaka or pink snapper with vegetables and rice. The chowder was nice though I thought it lacked a little edge in bacon or salt flavor. The Opakapaka was just slightly dry but tasty with some nice steamed vegetables. We were asked to move to accommodate a larger group but never got the complimentary cheesy bread the manager promised us. Otherwise, besides having so many choices on the menu, it was a nice dinner. I'll have to try upstairs in the future.
June 22, 2000
Sarah
San Mateo , California
I love this restaurant. The top of the Market upstairs has a fantastic crab melt sandwich. I recommend sitting at the counter and watching the cooks as they prepare the most mouth-watering assortment of sea food imaginable. Also during the spring and summer the outside dining on the first floor is especially nice. And, believe it or not they have a fantastic desert selection. The Fish Market is an awesome restaurant.
May 1, 2000
David E.
While very good (and commanding a variety of fresh fish) the Fish Market can occasionally disappoint. Inconsistency and small portions are common problems, as are long waits. The oyster bar specialties are quite good and creative ... better than most things coming out of the kitchen. The raves that it is the best and that there's no other restaurants anywhere near as good are so much malarky. For better clam chowder and shellfish, try the Clam House on 25th. Less pretentious and usually better service. Plus you will leave with tomorrow's lunch in a doggie bag due to the huge portions. That having been said, the Fish Market is prefered for business lunches and entertaining due to its overreaching atmosphere.
May 27, 1998
The top of the market is one of the ten best resturants in northern californa. Mike's jumbo is a must for sea food lovers. If you are alone sit at the counter it's always friendly. The food and the service are consistant.
February 14, 1998
The Fish Market is the best restaurant around. We eat there 1-3 times a week. We like sitting upstairs with Mike at the counter. He is so great and will custom make your order any way you would like it. Downstairs at the bar is another favorite place. The prices are a little less and the food always right on the money. We sometimes venture out to other restaurants in the area but always say "it was good but you can't beat the Fish Market!" My favorites, cheesy garlic bread, The Cajuun Pasta. You won't find these anywhere else!! And don't eat in the downstairs restaurant, it is alot more fun to sit at the counter and watch the action.
January 10, 1998
Nelson W.
Fish, fish, fish galore. If you have a craving for seafood then this is the place for you. A simple stroll through the front doors and you'll be hit by the aroma of seafood (which you'll quickly adjust to as your stomach wanes for food). I couldn't believe the variety of fish served here - everything from Salmon to Sea Bass to Monk Fish. Or have a Seafood Louie Salad to really spice things up. Usually crowded - they don't accept reservations for parties less than 8 people. But it is worth the wait. Get a window seat and look at the water for a nice romantic view. Service can be a bit slow and sometimes unfriendly but don't let that deter you from some great selection of fresh seafood.
November 17, 1997
There are two distinct restaurants here, the Fish Market and the Top of the Market. Both offer some great seafood dishes. Rarely ever a disapointment. Upstairs, at the Top of the Market, sit at the counter and watch em' hustle around. Other seating with tablecloths. Always entertaining. Upstairs, they will put together something custom for you, if you ask. Nice people. Make sure you say Hi to Mike, one of the best grill guys on the Peninsula and to Sam the bartender. Ask Sam to show you some of his magic tricks. Always has some new ones. Food is always good, some-what pricey. Ask what is looking particulary good that day and they will tell you. Good wine list, tending to be a bit over-priced.
June 22, 1997
Alan M.
I am a huge fan of the Fish Market. I've also been to the Palo Alto and Del Mar locations and they have consistantly pleased me. (I'm a demanding SOB) I know people who eat here weekly, and would myself if I was local. The menu is a long utilitarian list, and I could order anything on it and be happy. If you know what you like, and how you like it, you'll be satisfied. A huge selection of fresh fish, cooked to order. Every time I describe how I want my fish done, they actually get it right on the money. I have paid a lot more at multiple "Scott's" locations only to be served exactly what I told the waiter I did not want to see. If you're in the mood for a specific piece of fish, where do you go? The Fish Market.
August 6, 1996
The fish is consistently fresh and delicious. So are the raw oyster combo, which we always get. The only negatives I can say are that everything's about the same -- all the fish is prepared in the same style, except for the very few blackened choices. You can't eat here too often, unless you like the same thing over and over, since tho they have an extensive menu, it can get pretty tiring quickly. But overall, a good place to go, and if you go during the day, the view from the patio or the sunroom is very nice. Make sure to order extra cocktail sauce, horseradish, and lemons with the raw oysters since there's never enough.