Castaway

Category: Seafood

Recent Reviews for Castaway
September 5, 1997
Greig N.
I'm just not sure, but I think it's the atmosphere that keeps me coming back! The food is OK, but not even consistent. They must have a turnover problem in the kitchen. I've been dissappointed more times than I have been happy with the food. Sometimes it can be even undercooked. I tend to order 'carefully'. I try to order stuff that can't be screwed up too bad. The place is still a great place to go, if not just for it's location, views, and general character. The service has been consistently good, and it's still a nice special occasion restaurtant.
August 19, 1997
John R.
Great service, and wonderful food! I had the Cajun Shrimp, which I highly recommend. I love shrimp, and this is the best shrimp dish I have ever had. The setting is, as others said, right off the bay. You can watch planes take off and land from/to SFO. You can see Candlestick (I refuse to call it 3com) across the bay as well. We went in on a Friday night, and I was expecting not to get a table, or at least to have to wait forever. This was not the case, however. Perhaps not that many people actually know that this restaurant exists, which is both fortunate and unfortunate. Fortunate for me since I can be selfish and go there any time and get a table. Unfortunate for the restaurant since they could be getting more business if more people knew of them. However, it was probably just a fluke that the restaurant wasn't busy when we went in. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that this place is usually packed.
April 26, 1997
Christopher T.
Excellent service, excellent environment reminiscent of an island shipwreck (hence the name: Castaway) Food has always been exquisitely prepared and wonderfully presented. Good for any formal occasion, and they are very attentive to families (with small children) Sunday bruches are good, but the best time to go is weekend nights where they have the two fires lit, and you can watch the city come alive across the bay.
August 12, 1996
Laura M.
One of my favorite restaurants. I would pick this place for dinner every night if I could. Always good food, always a friendly staff. Some nights they do get quite busy and the service slows down but the view makes up for it. Over all a nice place to eat.