Capellini

San Mateo, CA

Category: Italian

Recent Reviews for Capellini
November 26, 2005
Have dined here twice now. Tonight we ordered the La Caprese appetizer which is fresh mozzarella, basil, and oven roasted tomatoe drizzled in olive oil and baslamic vinegar. Sounded great but tasted horrilbe! Nothing about this should had been bad, but the olive oil was clearly not extra virgin and was very very pungent and bitter and ruined the entire flavor. This dish was $9.50. For dinner I ordered the pesto rigatoni which was very flavorful, but not worth what it cost. The servings was about 75% less then what would normally fill me (and I really do not need a lot to fill me so...) Hubby ordered the salmon which was verr high priced even for the area but was good tasting. My mother ordered a calzone which she liked, but hubby & I have had many calzones in the San Mateo, and Half Moon Bay regions and this was by far the tiniest one we have seen for the most $$. Service was very good and atmosphere while cramped was very nice and dim. We may go back someday as it' ... more
February 23, 2005
Dined here tonight w/ my hubby based on the good reviews here. Was told the night before when I called that reservations were not needed since it was a Wed night for 2 people. We showed up at opening and were maybe one of 3 people waiting to be seated and waited at the bar till the hostess was ready to seat. We ordered some drinks and waited. 12 or so min went by and we're wondering what's going on. Hubby gets up to ask the new gal at the hostess stand what's the hold up and she says " Oh, do you want to be seated now?" DUH! So we wait a few more min and finally the original hostess we dealt w/ comes over and asks if we would like a table now. Don't know where any of the confusion came from as we were clear the second we walked in we were there to eat now and was told that we'd be seated in a minute. Anyhow, we were brought upstairs and our waitress came pretty promptly to see if we were ready to order and tell us the specials. There was one ... more
May 6, 2002
On a Thursday night, 4 of us had a wonderful dinner. Salad, entree, wine, dessert, and expresso cost just under $50 per person, including tip. Food was excellent, service a trifle slow but acceptable. They were half empty when we arrived for a 6:30 reservation, so we were seated immediately. It filled up by 7:30, and was a bit noisy but fun. We shared tastes all around, and I thought the pear salad, risoto with smoked duck breast, and bread pudding were the best! The wine list is a little pricey, but the 2000 Talley Arroyo Grande Chardonnay at $40 was superb!
March 7, 2002
David O.
With an interior designed by Pat Kuleto and a kitchen from heaven, this is a place that knows how to cook and create some very interesting dishes. From what some of the other reviewers have said, reservations are the hot ticket here. I've eaten here three times, lunch twice and dinner once and have never experienced anything but wonderful service and great food. I doubt that the weekends are a great time to schedule a dinner here, as the place gets crowded early and stays that way all night long. Just the same, this is a very nice location, with a willing staff and a winner menu...
June 8, 2001
Jerry M.
San Mateo , California
Best Italian restaurant in the area. Crowded and a bit noisey. Nevertheless, the quality and quantity of food makes up for all slight inconveniences. Strongly recommend!
June 8, 2001
Jerry M.
San Mateo , California
Very good food and service. Specially recommend fried calamari and veal dishes. Good wine list. Place can be noisy and crowded suggest reservations. Good wine list waitstaff can be helpful in making suggestions.t
June 13, 2000
Deb L.
Sunnyvale , California
I just happened to be driving around downtown San Mateo and ran across this place. I guess I was lucky and came on a slower Wednesday evening, since I was able to be seated right away without reservations. The food is good, not great. The waiter was great, very personable and funny. He was able to remember who had what dish even after the person I was with changed seats. The place seemed a bit noisy, it was difficult to have a normal conversation across the table and the parking isn't great in the area. They do have valet parking, which I took advantage of.
March 24, 2000
Alice L.
Next time you visit there, make sure you make reservation, or you should expect a wait time of 40 minutes or more. Try the capaccio & fried calamari for appetizers. Their veal dish & creamy garlic sauce in the Linguini & clams are my favorite dishes. Save some room for dessert, they have pretty good choices.
February 18, 2000
Mary Ann S.
The food was great, good presentation, hospitable waiters, etc. However, the wait for a table was too long; unfortunately, there is little room in the waiting area for customers. We made a reservation for 7:15p.m. on a Friday evening and weren't seated until 8:20 p.m. Our order wasn't taken until 8:40p.m. and we were served our main course at 9:15 p.m. (The reason I have this info. is because we were timing it after our extensive wait period.) I write this to let others know that the food is very good and worth the wait but you must be willing to be patient. It's not a place to dine if your schedule doesn't permit a long long wait and you're famished. However, my husband doesn't feel it was worth a two-hour wait period for any meal; however, we enjoyed the time visiting with our family.
October 9, 1999
It was just ok. When my date called to make reservations, the hostess was rushy and discourteous, interrupting him before he could ask what the dress code was. He had to call back again to ask. We had reservations at 8pm, but we were not seated until 8:45pm. The hostess came up to us once to tell us just 2 more minutes, it was more like a half an hour. Then we were ignored until it was time to be seated. Of course, for most people it wouldn't matter as much since they have a full bar, but my date and I are underage so we just stood around until we could be seated. The food was average, but they do give good portion sizes for the price that you pay. Our server was very kind and courteous, until we paid for our dinner with a gift certificate. He seemed to change into a different person, barely saying "Thank you, good-bye." We still left him a tip in cash, but I wouldn't recommend Capellini if you are looking for a quiet or romantic night.
1 | 2 | 3  Next >