California Pizza Kitchen

April 4, 2008
Nancy S.
San Francisco , California
247 reviews , 1 photo
Well, went back here after 2 years and the quality and food is just as good. Some are right in saying it is not the place to go to get your "average" pizza. The crusts are thinner, the ingredients are not piled on, but you can customize any pizza you want, as in the case of me wanting their BBQ chicken pizza without the cilantro or the smoked cheese. I added spices and cheeses I liked and it was great. The person with me had the portobella raviolis which were excellent. This restaurant is located inside a large mall, and rather than go to a food court, it's nice to have a place to sit down and get waited on.
May 17, 2005
Nancy S.
San Francisco , California
247 reviews , 1 photo
I happen to like California Pizza Kitchen. True, you don't get a pizza with pepperoni, cheese and sauce like a regular pizza restaurant, but you do get exceptionally good pizzas. The salads here are great too! I usually go with a friend and we split a salad and a pizza and that's plenty for two for lunch. My favorites are the barbeque chicken pizza with the caesar salad. They do have a bit of everything on this menu, and even a kids menu to choose from, so it's a great casual lunch or dinner type restaurant for the whole family.
June 17, 2000
Richard L.
San Rafael , California
We ate at the original before it was a chain and we liked it then and still do. I still would pick CPK over a lot of other places. Really like the shrimp pizza and their chopped salad.When are you coming to Marin?
June 14, 2000
Robyn G.
I like CPK, although I think that they can be a little pricey for a small amount of food. There service is not great. I think there pizzas are interesting, but not great. Seems like a trendy restaurant that will vanish within five years as people tire of it. Thanks! Robyn
June 10, 2000
Jerry O.
This is not the place to go if you want a regular old fashion pizza. This is truely California Cuisine, with it's nuances of combining flavors and dishes of many different types. A pizza, however, is not the venue for this type of cuisine. If you drink your coffee black and like just plain pepperoni pizza your better off somewhere else. If you like sundried tomatoes and decaf lattes with sprinkles and non-fat milk then this is your place.
June 7, 2000
Anna C.
san fracisco , California
California Pizza Kitchen is different than your typical pizza place. They use fresh and exotic ingredients on their pizza. Some combination sounds a little too strange to me but others work well. What they actually do is take different types of dishes from different cuisines and put them on a pizza dough. They have a pizza with Peking duck with hoisin sauce, which is a traditional Chinese dish. My husband always order pizza there but I usually go for a pasta or a sandwich. I like their soup as well. I always get the two soup in a bowl when I order soup. I have never made reservations there. Sometimes there is no wait, sometimes it's 45 minutes wait. Since I usually go to the one at Hillsdale mall, I don't mind the wait much because I can hop into a shop or two during the wait.
November 15, 1996
William W.
Yes, it's trendy, it's yellow, it's one of those chain restaurants with a t-shirt and a cookbook - but oh, is the food good. Note, please: it is not "Pizza" Kitchen, it is "California Pizza" Kitchen. You don't get cheese and pepperoni at CPK, you get peanuts and hoisin sauce and bean sprouts and chicken (on the Thai Chicken Pizza, one of the menu's high points). (Actually, you can get cheese and pepperoni at CPK, but to say as much rather blows my little rhetorical flourish all to pieces, don't you think?) Look at the menu. Find something that looks good. Order it; it will be good. End of story.
August 4, 1996
Although Cal. Pizza has a good selection of gourmet pizzas, I usually order take-out pasta. My favorite is the Broccoli/Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta w/spaghetti noodles rather than the standard fusilli noodles. Other favorites include the Potato Leek Soup, Ceasar Mixed Leaf Salad and Romaine & Watercress Salad. One caveat: If you order for take-out, make sure you check what they give you!! There's been at least 5-6 instances in the past year where they didn't give me the exact thing I ordered, for example, instead of the spaghetti, I got fusilli noodles, with my favorite pasta dish. Make sure you get the name of the person taking down your order by phone. If they screw up, they usually will give the order on the house or you can ask for a free dessert.
March 19, 1996
Definitely not your typical pizzas. My favorite is the Peking Duck on the honey wheat crust (if you like duck, you should try this). The pasta with garlic cream sauce is really good, especially with shrimp. The checca appetizer is also really tasty (the dipping sauce is very garlicly)!