Amici's East Coast Pizzeria

San Mateo, CA

Category: Pizza

Recent Reviews for Amici's East Coast Pizzeria
August 14, 2006
I love Amicis. It's the only Pizza my family eats. We love thin crusts and the salads are always very crisp and fresh.
May 18, 2006
Nancy S.
San Francisco , California
247 reviews , 1 photo
Wow, I see this restaurant has not been reviewed in a few years. I was just there, yesterday, May 17, 2006, and it still is as good as ever. I am not a fan of thin crust pizza, but now I think I'm a convert. The crust is excellent and the pizzas are delicious. I had an artichoke heart, feta cheese, sun dried tomatoe pizza and it was one of the best I've ever had. I shared a salad with someone which tasted like it was just out of someone's garden. Service was excellent, and there is street parking (meters that still give you 30 minutes for 25 cents...amazing). I'd recommend this place to anyone for a great meal!
June 9, 2001
Jerry M.
San Mateo , California
Excellent thin crust pizza. House salad with house dressing is enough for two. Bit pricey but good value. Best pizza joint in San Mateo.
July 10, 2000
Penny A.
Foster City , California
Food is always fresh, consistently prepared and always tasty. Service is friendly (they remember you) and quick. Great neighborhood success story!
April 27, 2000
Jenn C.
San Mateo , California
A couple years ago if someone asked me if I like Amici's I would have said no way. As I became more knowlegable about food and could determine what is quailiy product, it is the only pizza I eat. I love the pizza, pasta, and salads. Delivery is consistantly on time and accurate to your order. I highly recommend this restraunt.
October 4, 1999
Stef J.
When we moved from San Jose to San Carlos we went in search of a pizza to replace our favorite "FPD". We had trouble finding one -- it seemed that all the pizzas we tried tasted bland or "off", or the crust was abominable. Amici's is the first pizza delivery joint we've ordered from several times. I wouldn't call it all that similar to the East Coast pizza I had in CT or NYC, but to me it tastes better than Give Pizza Chance or any of the other popular local joints. I like that they keep my address and preferences on file. And delivery from the Redwood Shores Amici's is consistently speedy.
August 9, 1999
Ike K.
I agree with Mark Suppanz.The pizza at Amici's is not a true East Coast/NY style pizza.Nothing at all like a genuine NY style, where the cheeze and the sauce kind of melt together on a perfectly cooked, but still moist crust.It's a decent thin crust pizza, probably the best you can get on the peninsula, but a bit too pricy to make it worth the bucks.$14-$20 for a large pizza (which measures only a little overa foot in diameter) is not much pizza for the buck, especially a thin crust!A much better pizza value is North Beach, unless of course you just gotta have that thin crust. Just be prepared to be a little disappointed if you're truly from the East Coast.PS.The best NY style pizza I've ever had west of the Mississippi is d'Bronx in Kansas City. Look em up if you're ever there.
May 19, 1998
Stanley R.
I simply cannot figure out what all the hoopla is about. I've have Amicis half a dozen times, both in the restaurant and through delivery. The crust is cracker thin and reminds me of a burnt tortilla. I have not had one pie where at least some of the crust has not been scorched because of uneven tossing. They are chintzy with cheese in typical New York style, but the sauce is too sweet and the toppings quite spare. For San Mateo, I prefer Giorgios (a good pizza place disguised as an average mediterranean place), or North Beach, which is located just down the street.
November 21, 1997
Mark S.
I'm not sure if I would call this East coast or NY-style pizza. Growing up in NJ, I remember all those places which served the piping hot pizza, where you had to hold the slice with 2 hands and somehow manuever it into your mouth while the cheese just dripped and oozed all over! Even on my last trip to NY I just walked into a restaurant in the East Village and got a slice of this very same pizza...you just can't find it here in CA! All that said, I tried Amici's based on the reviews here, and would compare it more to CA-style "gourmet" pizza cooked in a wood-burning brick oven. Don't get me wrong, Amici' was very good pizza, and I enjoyed it very much! They have loads of topping to choose from (including 3 kinds of sausage), and it has a very distinctive taste...I can't really compare it to any other pizza I've had here. The bottom line is, who cares if it's NY or CA or Italian-style pizza...it's GOOD, and that's all that counts! Try the Amici's Combo! They're located in ... more
February 24, 1997
Amici's is by far the best pizza I've had since I moved to California(from Chicago). It is great thin crust pizza. The crust is crispy, the toppings are fresh and tasty. The antipasti salad is also quite a treat. Definitely worth a try.