Pacific Cafe

Hit the spot
June 5, 2006
Haute C.
San Francisco , California
This a hidden gem near the end of Geary. The place is usually full of locals partaking of the fresh catch of the day. While you wait you will be served a free glass of wine! The seafood has always been wonderful. My advice is to head there a bit early because it fills up fast.
April 15, 2006
Thomas S.
122 reviews , 2 photos
Ate here 25 years ago, and again tonight. The decor hasn't changed and the food is still fresh, prepared well, tastes good, is served with a smile and the price is downright reasonable! The menu selections are small. Thre only non-fish dinner is a $23 steak. Blackboard specials are all freshly caught fish. The Pacific Clam chowder is made with clam juice and chicken broth. Tasty! Wine selection is small but good. Wine price mark-up is minimal. The $20 bottle I ordered costs $13 at Bev n' Mo. This restaurant is neighborhood favorite located way out in the avenues that seems to attract lots of tourists as well. Must be listed in all the guide books, 'cause Pacific cafe doesn't buy any advertising here at home. So line up outside the door at 4:45 pm if you want to sit before 6:30 pm. No reservations taken. They'll bring you a big full glass of white wine while you wait in the breezy foggy air. Dinner for 2 without wine or dessert costs around $40.
May 4, 2005
Nancy S.
247 reviews , 1 photo
Excellent restaurant that we have been coming to for years. The early seating starts at 5, and on weekends the line is out the door before then. The restaurant is very small, so you need to arrive early on weekend nights to make the first seating. While you wait in line they serve wine, so the wait is tolerable. <br> The food here is consistently good. Great french bread to start with, the salad is served with fresh shrimp if you want, and the entrees are all fresh and delicious. I don't think we've ever been disappointed by anything we have ordered here. A great neighborhood restaurant that I would recommend highly.
February 28, 2000
My wife and I have been going here since we were dating in 1978! Great little place in a funky atmosphere. Food is always very good, but stick to the blackboard specials and forget the menu. Free wine while you wait, and the most expensive item is the abalone, (very good). Be advised that parking is a pain.
December 14, 1999
Greig N.
First off, the price range should be $10-20, but that wasn't one of the options. This place is a real treat! Cute colorful place with real life. The service was very good, and friendly. The food was creative and tasty. And if I didn't already say it, it's line is seafood. Haven't had a dish there that wasn't above average. If your familiar with the Fish Market, well, this place is kind of like that place, only about 20% better! Arrive early, it's real popular, and it's small---but if you don't, we've usually received a free chablis to help with the wait!! It's worth going out of your way for.
February 25, 1997
Andre K.
I was introduced the the Pacific Cafe about a year ago by a friend and have been a regular since. I've taken a number of my friends there as well and haven't had a complaint yet. Parking is easy, the staff is super friendly. I've never picked anything of the menu myself - I just ask the waiter/es and they bring the yummiest food. Once we had 10 people there for a birthday dinner so the staff took apart 2 seating areas (that includes separator walls) just so we could fit in comfortably together. Great place to take a date!
July 16, 1996
Ate there on July 12, 1996. Great place supervised by the owner/chef. Seafood was fresh and well prepared even if the complimentary wine was not 4-star. The abalone was wonder- ful (and amazingly inexpensive compared to the rest of the city). Salmon and scallops combo was delightful. Desserts were not so fresh (ask waiter for the freshest). Had the fresh berry tart that tasted good. The service is informal, attentive, and unobtrusive.
July 10, 1996
Great little "hole-in-the-wall" restaurant. Free wine (hey, can't beat the price) was okay. Wait was approx. 20 mins. on a Monday night. Service was good; food was tasty; and the house red was surprisingly not bad. Excellent place for a romantic date, be it a first or a night out of the house. The company I was keeping had me enamoured, so my kudos may be exaggerated, but definately a place to try. I will definately return.
April 6, 1996
This place has a real neighborhood, family feel to it. At first sip of the complimentary white wine I was disgusted but got over myself quickly and kept drinking as we waited. The aromas, the happy waitstaff, and the patrons conversing was an enjoyable experience. Then we sat down, ordered some real wine, had some delicious bread and ate the most delicious crab cakes. Thinking about it has me convinced that I am going back real soon! Katie