Marrakech Moroccan Restaurant

San Francisco, CA

Category: Moroccan

Recent Reviews for Marrakech Moroccan Restaurant
March 6, 2007
As this was my to be my first experience with Moroccan food I was excited for the opportunity to dine at the Marakesch. We were greeted by a plesant fellow at the door who escourted us to a table towards the centre of the room. An extremely helpful waitress guided us through the menu and our appetizers soon followed. The Lentil soup was tasty and the Bastilla was light, fluffy and the powdered sugar not to sweet...however the meat inside was bland...unfortunately this was a hint as to what would follow. The Lamb and egg plant was bland and an utter disappointment, the Chicken in Honey sauce and nuts was the same...bland. However the wait staff was extremely polite and the ambiance was outstanding. The bellydancer was awesome and the band was accomplished. This was a good experience but I was woefully disappointed in the food. I would not go again if I were hungry.
March 18, 2005
Marrakech (and the multi-course Middle Eastern style restaurant) has always been a favorite restaurant-type of mine. This still stands as one of the better restaurants in San Francisco and is more of an "experience" rather than just a place to eat. The restaurant is a 5-course meal, consisting of an amazing salad appetizer/dip (perhaps my favorite of all the courses - the Eggplant dip is outrageous), tasty Lentil soup, B'stilla (a powdered sugar/cinnamon flakey pastry filled with chicken, egg, walnuts, etc...never one of my personal favorites, but many people love this one), a choice of various Lamb/Chicken/Kebob entries (the Lemon-Olive chicken is worth the price of dinner alone!) and desert (Baklava) with great mint tea. The staff has always been very good in my experiences, despite some previous reviewers' negative comments. And the entertainment is well-arranged, with authentic Morroccan/Middle Eastern music and talented belly dancers (though I& ... more
July 3, 2001
One of the servers as rude as can be...the other the nicest guy ever...atmosphere was great....food was way overpriced for arabic food...20 dollars for a kebab???? are they nuts..its not worth at most 5 dollas..its probably high rent in the city.the hummus was sour, not too good..the salad ok...band, dancer and atmosphere great...i recommend kan zeman or ali baba, or the place in san mateo..can't remember the name.
July 7, 1998
The Marrakech is under new management. The dining area has been redecorated and is very plush and beautiful. The service, in one word, FABULOUS! The food was very good! Loved the chicken bastila! Great margaritas too. The band was wonderful! The musicians looked like they were really enjoying themselves. My party and I danced until we couldn't dance any more. They also had a lovely dancer, Zakkiya. The management and staff made us feel like we were visiting royalty. I look forward to going back soon.
June 15, 1998
Look for new things coming from Marrakesh soon. It has changed ownership and the new owners are committed to making it the best it can be. They have knocked down some of the walls to open it up, changed carpets, built a stage and dance foor, painted, modified the menu and there is much more in store. They will be adding other Middle Eastern specialties to the full Moroccan menu, like hummos, baba ganouj, falafel and dolmas plus an ala carte menu. The new band, Shahin, is wonderfully talented and fun. The waitstaff is friendly and prompt and everyone wants to be sure that you have an enjoyable experience. They will be having a Grand Re-opening later in the Summer of 98. Do yourself a favor and give Marrakesh another try. I will be.
June 15, 1998
The Marrakech has just re-opened with new management. The entire dining area has been re-done and is very comfortable and beautiful. There are low couches and cushions for seating around round tables. There are two areas in the restaurant that are semi-private and perfect for large parties of 30-40. The service was excellent, the best I've ever had in San Francisco. The food was delicious; I am a vegetarian and was pleased with my selection of couscous with vegetables. The waiter went out of his way to make me a special vegetarian bastila. The other members of our party enjoyed the chicken with honey and almonds and the chicken with almonds and onions. The meals also came with bread (baked on the premises), a plate of yummy dips, lentil soup, bastila, baklava, and mint tea. The other wonderful feature of the restaurant is the live music and belly dancer. The owners of the restaurant are also musicians and they are wonderful. The night we went, Mimi Spencer joined them on kanun, and th ... more
January 22, 1997
Servers were rude and not very decent. Not at all recommended for families. Food was okay but expensive.