Maharani Restaurant

775-1988

Category: Indian

Recent Reviews for Maharani Restaurant
October 26, 2004
Beautiful restaurant. Outstanding food and service. I took my family there after reading about it on this site and it was a total delight. Their Fantasy Room is gorgeous and I plan to make a trip there with my wife (and without the kids :)
November 3, 2000
My husband and I dined here on our wedding anniversary and requested the Fantasy Room. The service was impeccable and the food was excellent. We had a very cozy and romantic dinner and were treated like royalty. The waiters would promptly show up as soon as we 'rang' bringing with them fresh, delicious food cooked to our taste. We liked this place so much that we went back with some our friends who'd never eaten Indian food before and they still have fond memories of the curries and the samosas, etc.
August 17, 2000
Jai S.
San Mateo , California
great place to dine in. good variety of dishes, chappatis were hot and crisp. must go
July 27, 2000
I am an Indian and pride myself to be a connoisseur of Indian cuisine...I have been dining there ever since they opened in 1989. I have read all the above reviews. I could not have agreed more to Henry Eisenberg's comments.The Fantasy Room is just out of this world.I have myself thrown a party of 90 people and my guests still rave about the excellent food they tasted.The room is studded with at least a million pearls...it feels like a palace...it is prettier than my bedroom or any bedroom I have seen.Those people who doubt me they should check it out themselves.Don't read those biased statements and a few negative comments and form your opinion.They must be implanted by the competitors.I consider it to be the most beautiful and the most romantic Indian restaurant in the U.S.A.
May 14, 2000
JB B.
San Francisco , California
I live only 5 blocks from this wonderful place and just went there for the first time 2 weeks ago and I was very happy with quality and quantity of the food. The service was attentive, and we were rewarded with a coupon for a free bottle of wine on our next return. The Fantasy room will make your conversation more interesting and you will be more attractive so don't be afraid to ask to be seated there. All in all I am quite happy I stumbled across this rare gem in the middle of a pretty run down part of town.
May 8, 1997
Probably one of the best Indian restaurants I've visited, the quality is high but it has prices to match. I'm not sure about all the disparaging remarks above -- I guess the kitchen is a bit inconsistent.
April 5, 1997
DO NOT GO TO THIS RESTAURANT!! I have to say it is absolutely the WORST Indian food I have ever tasted and I am Indian. The Tandoori Chicken was rubbery and tasted like it had been cooked the day before. Its your money, but I cannot stress enough how bad this food is. There are plenty of great Indian Restaurants in the city. Why go to this one?
January 13, 1997
I've read all of the reviews here, and for some of these reviews, it seems as if they've never eaten here. Dining at Maharani Restaurant was one of the most rewarding experiences (dining or otherwise), that I have had in my lifetime. I've been going to many Indian establishments over the course of a decade now, and there is nothing like the Maharani. It is one of a kind---unique!! In fact, on my 3rd visit there, I proposed to my now wife, in the Fantasy Room. My suggestion to all of you restaurant connaisseurs is this: Go to the Maharani. Try any dish on the menu (believe me, I have), and dine in the Fantasy Room. Hell, it got me married. Who knows what they can do for you. That's my 2 cents worth. Enjoy everybody!
April 24, 1996
Jyothi S.
I would like to warn fellow diners about the unhygenic methods used by this restaurant in cooking food. I learnt about it the hard way when I accidentally chewed on a metallic piece stuffed inside a samosa. As a result, I suffered permanant damage to my molars and had to get a filling done by my dentist. When I complained and showed the metallic piece to the waiter he tried to hush the matter by offering us another plate of the appetizer ! My family and I tried not to create a scene and stayed back as we had already ordered dinner. But, the rest of the food was horrible to taste. Curries had a strong, pungent chlorine smell. Nan was overburnt. All in all, it was a nightmare and I am thankful that none of us died due to food poisoning.
February 2, 1996
Cindy N.
We dined in the Fantasy Feast Room with $30/person meal. Decor plush, comfortable, beautiful, and intimate. Appetizers were good, but the fish, lamb, and chicken curries were even better. Fish curry is flavorful, but then the spices and hotness hits you after a few seconds. Rice, tandoori chicken, and jumbo shrimp also come with the meal. Meats were tender and well marinated. Desserts were very sweet, esp. liked the mango ice cream. Service was courteous and dutiful. Four of us all agreed that this is the best Indian food we have had so far. Entertainment card accepted here.