Henry Chung's Original Hunan Restaurant

Recent Reviews for Henry Chung's Original Hunan Restaurant
April 22, 2005
Andrew N.
Halifax , Nova Scotia
This is a great place, whether alone, with a loved one or for a private <br> <br> party. The food is delicious and I'm excited to try something <br> <br> new each week from the menu. The staff are courteous and friendly <br> <br> and I never feel rushed for a meal. If you don't try this at <br> <br> least once, you truly are missing out on one of the city's <br> <br> best restaurants
July 11, 2003
Bill Y.
San Leandro , California
140 reviews , 2 photos
This is still my favorite Chinese restaurant in SF...we live about 20 miles away in the E. Bay...but at least once a month, we drive to the city exclusively to get our fix at the Hunan. Like others who have written below, we have been coming here since it first opened (remember when they were in a small storefront on Kearney....), and yes there have been changes in menue to accomodate some of the less adventuresome "lo fon" (I haven't gotten over the loss of the smoked hamhocks I used to order). Still, you can't beat starting the meal with the onion cakes...then ordering one of Henry's signature dishes....(bless him for what he has left for all of us to enjoy). I particularly like the Harvest Pork...but Henry's Special in the smoked meats is hard to beat as well. My wife always orders the Hot and spicy beef...marry the heat with a cold beer and you may have found paradise...I know I have on many occasions on Sansome.
August 11, 2001
Without a doubt the best Chinese food in the San Francisco Bay Area. Weekday crowds are high around 12 noon to about 1:45pm. Check out the smoked ham, hot and sour chicken, and don't leave withought haveing their hot&sour soup!
July 21, 2001
Rich F.
Bloomfield Hills , Michigan
380 reviews , 4 photos
I have been going to the Hunan for years and years. I even have one of the hardcover cookbooks signed by Henry Chung before he died. This is the real McCoy. I have visted mainland China, Taiwan and eaten in Chinese restaurants all over Asia. This is simple but great preparation; no MSG, fresh ingredients, good prices and friendly service. Try the Ma Po Tofu, Harvest Pork and the Onion cakes. The Hot and Sour soup is great too. This is not a fancy place and they haven't spent a lot on decor, but it is the real deal and those that know go back over and over again.
March 13, 2000
Dale S.
The best Chinese in the bay area...
March 17, 1998
Nelson W.
Tourist trap if there ever was one. They say you can tell if a Chinese restaurant is good if you go in and there are actually Chinese people eating there. Well, if that's the case then perhaps this isn't the greatest Chinese/Hunan restaurant in the world. Definitely geared towards non-Chinese when you see a dish called Polish Sausage and vegatables on the menu. Since when was Polish Sausage Hunan?
January 21, 1998
Evan L.
Their Natoma location is their next best site, after the one on Sacramento, of course. They have really started to take off as word leaks around town about their new location. You must order Henry's Special as either a rice plate or simply an entre. Their meat pie appetizer is also excellent, but very filling. If you have a cold or are congested at all, a visit to thsi restaurant is more practical and effective than seeing a doctor.
January 21, 1997
G. C.
Yesterday I walked to a NEW "Henry's Original Hunan" from Moscone Convention Center for lunch while I was attending some seminars at SF Mosconic Center. The foods are great! For those of you who don't know this location, here is the info. Location: 110 Natoma St., S.F. (Off New Montgomery St and between Howard & Mission) Open Hrs: 11:30am - 9:30pm, Monday - Saturday Telephone: (415)546-4999 Fax Nbr: (415)227-4999