Greens At Fort Mason

Recent Reviews for Greens At Fort Mason
July 5, 2006
Laurie B.
New Orleans , Louisiana
I don't usually write reviews but I felt compelled to try to save others from spending a lot of money on really bad food. I am from New Orleans. We evacuated due to Katrina and became vegetarians after cleaning our freezer due to no power for 1 1/2 months.We just came back from a much needed vacation to beautiful California. The only negative experience was at Greens. This was by far the worst food my partner and I have ever had in our lives! It was cold, & tasteless. We had two main entrees and one appetizer. We brought our own bottle of wine and the check was $82 and paid $24 in cab fares to get there.There was a $15 corkage fee however our white wine was never placed in a wine bucket to cool it and we poured it ourselves.The server was rarely present. The tortillas on the two enchiladas were hard. The beans were very cold . My partner had Curry but couldn't even eat it....It was bland and cold. Our appetizer was advertised as different cheeses with warm waln ... more
August 29, 2005
Nancy S.
San Francisco , California
247 reviews , 1 photo
Not my favorite restaurant, but it is a big favorite to lots of folks. Went recently with 4 other women for lunch. I had a hard time finding something that appealed to me, and when I did get what I ordered I was not too thrilled. Everyone else raved about the food, but I went away hungry. Portions are not large, at least in my estimation. The view is great though, so maybe if you are a tourist you will enjoy the view enough to not think about the food!
May 1, 2004
Robert C.
Corpus Christi , Texas
The first time I came to Greens, I was really disappointed with it and disgusted that it had cost so much money (nearly $40 for a boring salad and mediocre "Moroccan" curry with brown rice). Perhaps it had something to do with the fact that I had just returned from France, and the food simply couldn't compare. Or maybe the fact that I'm not vegetarian and sometimes a meatless dinner, when not prepared by an expert, is just too blah and tasteless. But I actually think that Greens is just not a good place for dinner - too pricey and just not special enough. <br> But then my co-workers and I discovered "Greens To Go", the lunch takeout counter, and my opinion rapidly changed. The sandwiches are original and delicous, although, again, pricey. I'm not usually very fond of sandwiches, but their Egg Salad, Caprese (fresh mozzarella and pesto on foccaccia) and Grilled Tofu sandwiches are excellent and (almost) worth the price. The d ... more
May 8, 2003
Marty S.
San Francisco , California
I would say the view is better then the food. There are better and cheaper veggi resturants in the city. If you want a romantic gate and a lovely view I would go here. If you are just casually looking for veggie food I would go elsewhere.
March 26, 2002
Kae B.
California
This restaurant has great views that is for sure! The food is excellent, however rather small in portion size for the price. Pre-fix menu at $46.00 should provide atleast 3-4 courses of actual food, (nuts and olives do not count as a course), The asparagus/onion tart was great, but again, too small or not enough sides with it. The baked pie was good, a bit too much bell pepper, but again very small. Salads were good-but then again they should be. Our wait staff 'Dickie' was very nice, helpful, and eager to please. Only complaints were the difficulty in the reservation and the pricey food for the small portions.
August 4, 2000
Dinner: $15-20 I was looking forward to going to Greens b/c I had heard so much about it. I took my parents there for dinner and we were all pretty disappointed. The food was neither unique nor flavorful, considering the prices - - $17 for vegi shish-kabobs. Pa-lease. The view was nice but not nice enough to justify the costs.
June 20, 2000
Bernard H.
San Jose , California
i really don't think people should be dissin' greens. greens is a really cool restaurant. yes, it's got a nice view and interesting artwork deco, but it also has very good food. i know people have tried to diss the service they got @ greens. i don't think greens provides the most attentive service, but that's not always a negative.i do understand tho' that it was kinda weird that we were randomly served by 1 of 3 different waitpersons. our main waiter didn't talk much, wasn't overly friendly, but really! it was enough 4 me. we got a beautiful bay/ocean view from our table. i'm so glad that they gave us a nice view. i did make reservations, and i would suggest you do. even on a mon nite, it was very crowded. the window looks out to the water over a bunch of boats. You can see the golden gate bridge and the sf fog. You can see marin county. the room has a high, high ceiling, a very nouveau feel; a classy nouveau feel. it's very sf. many pieces of n ... more
June 20, 2000
Kaela K.
berkeley , California
i must agree w/ bernard hwang's review (which i seem to agree frequently). the food here is delicious. but i'm not giving it five stars only because of service. this was my wonderful boyfriend's idea, and i thought it was pretty romantic. but then again, i really like not just classy restaurants but also restaurants w/ nouveau decor. i never expected a place like this out of handful of warehouses in fort mason center. i thought we'd be eating bbq on those picnic tables. i was starting to worry about splattering bbq sauce on my clothes. so this was a surprise dinner date. we had a riesling wine, which i thought was pretty good. the appetizers were delicious as well as the entrees. yes, the prices are... well, save your $$$ for a special occasion like mine (5 month anniversary). the view was beautiful. we missed the sunset because of the fog, but the peaceful water helped me enjoy the dinner even more. the pasta was a little on the hard side, but my defin ... more
June 17, 2000
Richard L.
San Rafael , California
I really like this place but my other half is more than happy to pass. Great view of the Bay and depending on what you order great food. Make a reservation you need it. The tastes are pretty simple but I like variety sometimes and that's when this place comes to mind. The chili is a bore so move on to other items. Service okay.
June 12, 2000
Kenji H.
Hayward , California
The restaurant has a good view and reasonable decor, but I'm not convinced that the food is really worth the hassle of getting to Fort Mason. Overall, they do good on the basics, but after having tried a few times I've noticed that the quality of the entrees is variable (going down for awhile, picking up occasionally, but overall not as good as it was 5 years ago), the wait staff is variable (sure, you can be real assertive and get what you want, but it would be comfortable if the wait staff were set up so they could chill out too--call it a management problem). Some people may be quite surprised to hear about the food here, given that the book recipes sound pretty good and the chef has a big reputation, but reality doesn't care if you don't believe it. Given a choice between this restaurant and, say, the M word, I'd prefer Millennium overall (stare at the small garden instead of the Bay :-), and they have been on the upswing for a while now.
1 | 2 | 3  Next >