El Nuevo Frutilandia

San Francisco, CA

Category: Cuban

Recent Reviews for El Nuevo Frutilandia
October 30, 2001
I have been to this establishment several times over the years and my companion and I- who by the way is Puerto Rican, enjoy this place so much we drive from Stockton just to eat here at least twice a month! Sure, the service is not speedy but it is friendly. We love this place and if Mr. Cruz won't be back, great! Maybe now I won't have to wait for a table!
December 4, 2000
This review is a response to the one written by Ricardo Cruz. I think it's polite that he didn't want to talk bad, but since he did, I wanted to say that I eat here regularly, and though I have no idea how authentic the cuisine is, I do find it reliably flavorful and also affordable. The portions seem generous enough to me as well. The main complaint that I might make about this restaurant is that service is sometimes a bit haphazard, but this is also part of its charm. The restaurant is run by a staff of maybe three, and it is not the type of place to go to when you are in a hurry. The owner/operator is truly one of the sweetest women I've ever met, though apparently overworked. Mostly, I am interested in coming over to Ricardo's house, as he offered for some real latino food, cooked by his wife, but he hasn't left us any contact information. I will happily bring wine.
August 16, 1999
Excuse me but i dont like to talk bad about any one or any place but this is the worst restaurant ive been to. I can talk because iv'e eaten in latin america and through out the usa. First of all the food isn't even authentic cuban or puerto rican its really bad and the portions are for a three year old with prices for six figure incomers. Please do not go there . If u want real LATINO food u can come to my house and my wife will gladly cook or myself as long as u dont go there. sorry once again but i dont want anybody thinkin that that food is either puerto rican/cuban .
September 6, 1996
Good restaurant. Good service. Gay/Lesbian friendly. Small, clean, a cut above. The food is NOT Cuban; it is a mixture of Puerto Rican and Cuban. It is generally good, somewhat out of the way, and parking is next to impossible.
May 24, 1996
Jim H.
Wonderful food, I've been there a dozen times and never got tired of the food. Try chicken in celantro sauce, the pork stew, or ropa viejos.
March 29, 1996
Small restaurant, not yet crowded. Yucca with garlic, Sweet plantains, and Plantain / yucca fritters are great starters! Very nice Batidos de Frutas (fruit shakes), typical Latin American flavors, freshly made. Main dishes are pungently flavorful, but not as greasy as some cuban food is. A good distance from the main section of Mission St, but worth the walk!