Great Wall Chinese Restaurant

Redwood City, CA

Category: Chinese

Recent Reviews for Great Wall Chinese Restaurant
January 17, 2001
For all those people who rated Great Wall positively, were y'all being sarcastic or were you on CRACK?? I don't know what type of Chinese cuisine you're used to having, but where I come from, Great Wall fare is not considered food much less Chinese food. I would have rated this place a negative infinity, but of course there was no such choice. The atmosphere is that of a hutong in the slums of Beijing. I can't believe they were given the license to serve food to the public. The owners are getting rich from your paralyzed taste buds. I saw their 2 SUVs parked outside. Do you know how much one of those babies cost? I give credit where credit is due. But in the case of 'Great' Wall, I say get outta town.
April 10, 1998
I wouldn't take my date here, but this is a good place for takeouts. Almost a bargain for something in the Peninsula, still can't beat SF Chinatown of course. This is not a chop-shui place, even though the decor, if one can call it that, suggests it, but the real deal. This place is run by a family from Hong Kong, so the fare is Cantonese. You can ask for things that are not on the menu, as any good Chinese restaurant should be able to do, but of course due to its small size, special selections tend to be limited. If you plan a large takeout, say for a party, call them up, they maybe able to wip up something special, at a very reasonable price, if you know what to ask for. The only thing preventing me for giving it a 5 star is the cheap decor and the limited selection, as compared to a full fledge Chinese joint. But for absolutely reasonable takeout in the Peninsula, it's very good. No affiliate with Great Wall, just a satisfied customer.
September 24, 1996
Bruce M.
Great Wall has fantastic take-out food, which is all we order from them. Standard Chinese take-out fare, but with an excellent, flavorful edge. We've tasted most of the local Redwood City and San Carlos take out places, and Great Wall tops them all. Their BBQ Pork Chow Mein has that sumptuous, smokey flavor, without being overly oiled. Good Mu Shu Pork, but the sauce is a bit salty. Great potstickers, although probably bought in bulk (I want to know their source). Very good Lemon Chicken; not colored with yellow food dye. Mongolian Beef is also very good. The soups are lack-luster, but I like a spicier flavor. Can't comment on the service, but the atmosphere/dining area is standard-low-cost-Chinese-restaurant-next-door. Take away another star for the empty boxes in the front area, and the CONSOLE tv (sitting on a counter top) in the waiting area that never seems to get a signal. Don't look too close at the baseboards, but, hey, the food comes HOT!