El Grullense

1243 Middlefield Rd

Redwood City, CA

Recent Reviews for El Grullense
March 3, 2003
There's like 10 of these places within a mile of each other. Stay away from the 2 Middlefield locations they're full of Nortenios(usually at night). I don't have a big issue with gang members but made us feel really uncomfortable when the employees let them into the kithchen. We gave the location on El Camino a chance. There are actually 2 restaurants a block apart, we went to the one South of Seqouia train station. The food was a little scary; my buddies won't touch intestines but I was raised on tripitas and these were old and overcooked - I think they had been served over several days. The cashier didn't wash between handling money and food, and the employees preparing burritos didn't wear gloves and used the same towels for hands, counters and the floor! <br> To be fair, the burritos were generous and none of us died. If the smell doesn't offend, and you can't afford even Taco Bell then this the place.
September 21, 1999
This place is awesome. Definitely not a "white-washed" taqueria--this place is the real thing. Everything is quick and really good. They even have sesos and tripitas on the menu! My only complaint is that they never have berria, even on weekends. This a regular place to go for quick, good Mexican food.
October 24, 1997
Greg B.
There are a bunch of these in Redwood City. The one I patronize most is near the library. If you can stand the music and the video games, the food is terrific. I'll try the "upscale" one by the Price Club.
October 7, 1996
Shawn A.
This place is right across from the Price Club in Redwood City and has the best Carne Asada I have ever had. I have traveled many places in Mexico, San Diego, Los Angeles, and the Mission District in San Francisco and El Grullense's carne asada is the most flavorful. The pastor is also very flavorful and authentic and the chile they use is not only good and spicy, but also has a very full flavor. There is a selection of other traditional Mexican food here, but I love the carne asada so much that I have not ventured any further yet. The price of a good meal will most likely not be over $5.00 unless you order beer. This restaurant has recently become a chain of about 6 or 7 very small restaurants with the same name followed by a number in the order of which they were opened. Keep your eyes peeled for one and try it!!