Amelia's Restaurant

Redwood City, CA

Category: Mexican

Recent Reviews for Amelia's Restaurant
November 15, 2000
I don't profess to be an expert on Salvadorian cuisine, but I liked this restaurant! During my first visit, I had the soft Chicken Taco and Cheese Enchilada plate and thoroughly enjoyed it. My second visit was not as great and I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the company I was with. My plate was pretty good, but the 3 friends I went with didn't share the same opinion of theirs. I ordered the chicken taco/cheese enchilada plata again and was satisified. Friend #1 ordered the Chicken Colorado and hated it. He said it was too salty. Friend #2, who claims to be a connoisseur of Salvadorian cuisine, bored me with details of how UNAUTHENTIC the food was there. How real Salvadorian restaurants don't have sombreros hanging on their walls... as if I really cared! Friend #3 said nothing, but the look on his face said he'd rather be eating at the Chinese restaurant across the street. Overall, I would go again, but leave my loser friends behind.
March 2, 1998
In a word: authentic. There is a saying about Chinese restaraunts that I was told , "look to see how many Chinese people eat there, that's how you know it's really good." Be careful if you are not proficient in Spanish, as their is minimal English translation for the items, and noone there to really interpret.
October 24, 1997
Greg B.
It's hard to compare papustas because I've never had them anywhere else, but they were excellent. A friends told me they are the equivalent of hamburgers in El Salvador.
July 16, 1996
Shawn A.
You must go! I was introduced to pupusas by a couple of my El Salvadorian co-workers (pupusas are not Mexican, they originate from El Salvador and surrounding countries in Latin America) and have loved them ever since. I have had home-made pupusas and Ameilia's are not far off. When I had them the last time, they were a bit greasy, but that may have been just a fluke. Try a pupusa today; you'll be happy you did!
January 21, 1996
I am "newly" lactose-intolerant and find that the papusas are equally good with or without cheese, but the fiery coleslaw that accompanies each order is an absolute must if you omit the cheese. I am very keen on the pollo encebollado and the burritos, my absolute favorite item at Amelia's is the fruit drink that's loaded with bits of fresh fruit.