Duarte's Tavern

Pescadero, CA

Category: Bar

Recent Reviews for Duarte's Tavern
February 6, 2006
We have given this place a handful of attempts mainly because they are one of 2 local options to where my mother lives in San Gregorio. Their dinner bread is fantastic but they just have very limited options. I usually order the artichoke raviolis because the only other non-meat/fish option is grilled cheese and why pay their outrageous prices for one when I can get that anywhere. Even the items that should be meat free like their artichoke soup have meat base. They are meat fanatics and include it when it's un-necessary. I expect mostly meat options from a small town old restaurant but at the same time they are technically in the Bay Area which is pretty vegetarian friendly overall and it only benefits any restaurant to have a handful of veg-options/entrees ( and that doesn't mean salads!)so I and my family find it pretty unfortunate that this place feels the need to involve meat product/by product in almost everything they serve. The service is friendly but kind ... more
August 31, 2005
Have dined here 4 times now. For an old wooden tavern they sure do have the nerve to charge semi-high end prices! Their food (not breakfast though) is very good, but certainly not worth what they charge! I go here for the Artichoke soup which is so good, but painful because you pay almost 7 bucks for a tiny bowl of soup! I love eating here, but man it's difficult to pay those outrageous prices for the amount of food you get. I expect an elegant atmosphere and a super professional waitstaff to match these prices. The waiters and waitresses are very nice, don't get me wrong, but nice like the waitstaff at a truck stop in a small hick town ya know? The decor is nil and very bland. Just a bunch of random photos and pictures thrown on the walls here and there.
June 29, 2005
Joey S.
Kenwood , Ohio
Just out for a drive, when the dealer at the BMW shop recommend I drive over and eat here.... All I can say is when you walked it I thought I was at some very old tavern (which I was) croweded (very) sat down at the bar (if you can call it that). <br> Look over the menu and was supprised that for lunch they didn't have much under $10. Well it took some thought, but decided on the Calimari Steak Sandwich.... all I can say is WOW. Can't beleive it was this good. Forget about the crowd, and the high prices and couldn't beleive the food... Best meal I had while in CA on business.
August 8, 2004
Went there for breakfast & the options were just okay. They had the basics, waffles, pancakes etc... They had some decent omelet options one of which was a fresh artichoke omelet, but it was $12! the most expensive item on the menu and it just wasn't worth it just for an omelet so I got the waffle and my husband got pancakes. Both were average. Waffle was pretty thin so it wasn't too filling. Did come with a side of hot maple syrup along w/ a very yummy oallieberry compote thick syrup and also a side of fresh butter. He got a side of home fries. They were good, but not seasoned at all which is the first time I have ever had home fries not seasoned. Tasted like hashbrowns so they just need to serve hash browns instead. The large OJ is pretty tiny and not fresh. Tasted like Tropicana or something. Nothing was worth going back for breakfast though. I do like them for dinner however when they have a vegetarian option for me.
July 18, 2004
My hubby & I were pleasantly surprised! We were expecting to just go get some fries and onion rings and especially when we saw the outside an where it was we certainly were not expecting anything more. Being in that portion of Pescadero is like being in a tiny tiny rustic town in the deep south or mid-west. I do not feel like I'm in California at all! The tavern is in a small strip of very old wood buildings and when you go inside it feels very warm and friendly. The hostess was very friendly and seated us right away. The decor is all wood and very casual. The prices of the entrees do not reflect the decor and manner of dress at all. This is definitely a casual dressing atmosphere. Our waitress brought us fresh super sourdough bread and I must say it's the best sourdough bread I have ever had and I have had a whole lot of it in my lifetime! It was super soft and warm and sooooo good! The entrees all looked very good and I got the fresh goat cheese and sage bu ... more
January 22, 2002
Robert L.
This has been said several times, but the soups are the star of the menu here, mainly because they're unusual and very good. I too found the tripe dish (a version of tripe a la mode de la Caen) quite good, as well as being hard to find on many menus. The bread is super and deserves mention. The decor is 50's roadhouse, even with a counter to eat solo at. And it is always busy, so expect to wait. Once seated, in the rather dark and cramped building, however, the food and service are worth the inconveniences and the distance. Pescadero is convenient to nothing but the Pacific.
April 8, 2001
Karl F.
We like to stop here when we tour Highway 1 between Santa Cruz and Half Moon Bay. We always have their Artichoke Soup along with an entree, usually seafood for me and non-seafood for my wife. We have never been disappointed.
July 7, 2000
Martin S.
I like this place. The food is good. Lots of seafood. Their artichoke soup is famous. I had the whole artichoke appetizer and it was the best one I ever had. I did not know artichokes could have that much "meat". But that is more a compliment for the grower or maybe the restaurants buyer... I also liked their desserts.
April 24, 2000
Douglas A.
This is the only restaurant I know of outside of Europe that features tripe as a regular feature on the menu. So if you are a fan of cow stomachs, this is THE restaurant in the Bay Area for you. I always eat tripe when I come here. I have found the other fare good, but unremarkable. The artichoke soup is worth trying.
August 10, 1998
OK, ok, ok, this place is great for dinner. And I've had dinner here maybe a dozen times. But it's dynamite for breakfast, too. I had french toast with fresh peaches and ollalieberry syrup that made me moan. I try to duplicate it at home, and almost get it right, but Duartes does something that I don't, and I almost don't want to know what it is.