Sushi Main Street

Half Moon Bay, CA

Category: Japanese

Recent Reviews for Sushi Main Street
August 14, 2005
Clearly this place used to be really good and has gone downhill since 1998. Have dined here about 4 times now (only cause it's the only Japanese restaurant along the coast I have found). It's well worth the drive for us to San Mateo's downtown to go to one of the plethora or Japanese restaurants there because Sushi Main St is below average by far! I have had the tempura which is very average and have had a couple noodle soups which are so hot I couldn't eat them till well after the people I was there with were done w/ their dishes which sucked! Others I have been there with have ordered the Terriyaki Salmon (average)and many other dishes which I cannto remember and no one I have dined there with (10 or so peopel of the course of 4 trips there) has ever wished to return. Gorgeous decor but it doesn't make up for the below average food. Don't' let the fact that this place is usually packed fool you! It's only because it's the only local ... more
January 2, 2005
Very average food. Have no gotten any sushi as I do not like sushi whuch is why I think the majority of people go to this place. I ordered their tempura which while tasty has veggies i do not care for. The vegies that they do provide that I like such as broccoli, asparagus, and potato only came w/ one each and the one's I hate like zucchini, carrot, mushrooms came w/ 2 each. The sauce is very bland and watery. If you don't order hot tea or saki then there's pretty much zero beverage options as they have no fresh anything beverage wise. My friend ordered the tempura don buri (which comes w/ shrimp, but he doesn't eat shrimp so he ordered w. out) and it was very bland he said. Sub-par were his exact words. Second time we have eaten here and neither time have we left remotely full. Service is average. Won't be going back, just nothing on the menu worth going back for.
December 13, 2004
The reviewer Jo Watanabe summed this place up exactly! Gorgeous decor (intricate wood carvings, sculptures and overall gorgeous Indonesian style decor) lovely lime stone? slab tables. Their beverage selection stinks as they have no fresh lemonade or iced tea (the only beverages I ever order) So I got a green tea which tasted like barley. Took over a half hour to get our food. Many waitresses and 2 chefs and it took that long! Place was moderately filled w/ customers though we got there when it was close to empty. I ordered a vegetarian udon soup and my husband ordered the Atlantic Salmon teriyaki. My dish was so incredibly hot that I could take one bite till my husband was entirely done w/ his meal and even then my soup was too damn hot. I did finish it and I wasn't even slightly full. The noddles are far too huge and long and kept slipping off my chopstick and splattering all over me. The b=veggies in the soup (which consumed most of the bowl) were so largely cut a ... more
October 25, 2000
I would agree that it has nice decor, but the fish is only average in quality. Some creative/localized sushi items are an interesting deviation from traditional Japanese sushi. Service is friendly but kinda slow considering the number of tables/seats vs. number of sushi chefs and waitresses. You can sit at the counter but can't order directly from the chef.
April 24, 2000
Outstanding atmosphere and sushi, and very friendly service. However, the place is small and it takes a while to get your order. It's best to go when you have plenty of time on your hands to relax in a soothing environment.
July 19, 1998
ditto!! the shiro maguro (white tuna) here is always outstanding, we drive in just to eat sushi then drive back to the peninsula! the tuna always super fresh, and tempura is very light&crispy. we would definitely come every week if it weren't for the windy road to HMB, but whenever we're in town it's a must!
July 9, 1998
Bill A.
If I could name a sushi restaurant a "5 star" this would be the one. Beautifully decorated, well hidden, wonderful sushi! I hate to tell people about it- I would like to keep it just for myself. 1st rate in all aspects!!!!
November 18, 1997
Kathryn D.
This is simply the best sushi I have ever had, including some pretty special sushi restaurants in Hawaii and California. I am a fan of unagi and there are several rolls here that make choosing only one difficult. Right now my favorite rolls are the Baja Roll (spicy tuna) and the ever popular Tuna Special (with macadamia nuts and sauce. There is also a nice variety of other Japanese dishes if you want something warmer than sushi. This restaurant is definitely worth a trip!
May 10, 1997
My husband and I have been almost weekly regulars here since at least 1992. We love everything about it: the food, atmosphere, quality, consistency, and the staff. If you're looking for creative and great tasting Japanese cuisine - sushi or otherwise - you can't go wrong at Sushi Main Street! I've never seen a restaurant with better atmosphere, and I've never in my life wanted to go to the same restaurant weekly, year after year, until I went to Sushi Main Street. We always leave with a smile.
June 26, 1996
Unbelievably good!! I go twice a week for lunch and have the spicy tuna as well...It's owner is married to the gal who decorated it.The best decor of ANY sushi restaurant that it should be in Architectual Digest..I've brought Sushi afficionados from all over the country who agree.. .