Spanish Town Mexican Restaurant

Half Moon Bay, CA

Category: Mexican

Recent Reviews for Spanish Town Mexican Restaurant
January 9, 2005
Been here 4 times now. Went recently again w/ a friend who ordered the chili relleno and it was very greasy and soft opposed to crispy on the outside as it's fried in batter so it shoudl be crispy. They also use the cheaper less traditional Anaheim pepper opposed to the Ancho pepper. Luckily she got this and not I so I know not to order this. This place does srrve fresh juices, though I don't know if that means they squeeze them there or what, but on the tables are tiny signs showign the 3 juices they offer one of them being tamarindo and I think the others are something like srawberry and maybe pineapple? They do have the tastiest enchiladas I have had in a restaurant!
December 15, 2004
My hubby & I thought there was seriously no "real" Mexican restaurant here until we came across this place. All we have found are 3 Taqueria's w/ in a few block vicinity and all are very average and well Taqueria feeling. Not sit down restaurant type atmospheres. We got there at opening today which was 11am on weekdays in general and the place was much larger inside then it looks from the outside. Decorated in authentic Mexican decor. A cute and old wood multi level ( so to speak) building. We were served immediately w/ fresh warm tortilla chips and awesome tasting salsa. The only issue someone might have w/ the salsa is it's very waters w/ almost no chunks, but the flavor is perfect. I ordered their brewed iced tea (which I have had a very hard time finding in most restaurants for some reason in HMB area). I got the potato chimichanga (never seen this on any Mexican menu) and my hubby got the cheese enchilada. We got our dishes w/ in 10 min. Though ... more
January 1, 2004
Michael F.
California
I concur with other reviewers; the taste of their food is very good. The complimentary salsa and chips are great. Like many other Mexican restaurants of the style of the 60s & 70s, there is something in the cooking that makes me sleepy afterwards. They do not offer fresh fruit drinks nor are the chili rellanos made fresh. Regardless, this is a really nice small business. This restaurant may have expanded a bit in the front. It did not appear to be a tiny place as mentioned in previous year's review.
June 18, 2000
Rhonda M.
Moss Beach , California
The food here is very good & you do not leave hungry. It is a small restaurant but very cozy.
April 24, 2000
DAVID H.
One of the best local, small Mexican resturants I've been to and that is about it's only problem, It's really small How they can make a living of such a small place is a mystery, but as long as they can, Enjoy!!!
December 29, 1999
S M.
I liked this resturant i loved the food.
July 3, 1997
Mitra Y.
My parents love this place, and so do I. The staff is very friendly, and the atmosphere is romantic and cozy. The food is very good, the only caveat I have is that they don't use shredded beef, otherwise it would be perfect. I recommend the chimichangas or the flautas (taquitos)- both are excellent (in chicken, of course).
June 17, 1997
Dinner prices are probably more like $8 - $12. I have only been here once and I had a small meal. The food was ok mexican. I reserve the right to change my mind if I go again and sample more! Big portions, but nothing special. Plenty of chips and salsa (either very mild or very hot). The service is good. Very friendly and polite, but it took a while to get a water refill.
May 10, 1997
My husband and I have been regulars here for years and recommend this place to out of town friends as it is hard to find if you don't know about it. The plates are truly huge and full of hearty, satisfying and tasty food for reasonable prices. We have always enjoyed the cozy atmosphere, friendly staff and consistent quality. If you are looking for traditional Mexican food, this is the place!
March 26, 1996
Robert H.
Excellent Mexican food. Great service and atmosphere. A little crowded. Great combination plates