Paul & Barbara's Fish Trap

El Granada, CA

Category: Seafood

Recent Reviews for Paul & Barbara's Fish Trap
January 7, 2005
I think it's just called Barbara's Fish Trap now. I don't know what happened to Paul but he couldn't have been doing the cooking because it remains as ever consistantly very good for basic sea food, fried clams, oysters, cioppino, fish and chips etc. They do not accept bankcards so BRING CASH! You will likely have to wait for a table on the busy days but it will be worth it.
August 4, 2000
Ellen O.
Awesome seafood. The fried food is great, but look at the specials board, that is where all of the non-fried is! Best bets are buckets of steamed clams or mussles. Excellent and way too many for one person.
July 26, 2000
This place is totally a dive. It's cramped, tacky, they don't take credit cards, and the wait even on an uncrowded day in Half Moon Bay is long. That said, it is the best such place I've been in, and some of the items were the best "coastal cuisine" I've had. The fried rock fish (of the Fish & Chips but the "chips" were not special) was amazing. The steamed clams & mussels and the clam chowder (a relatively light and flavorable variety) were superb. Fried oysters were just right. Other items were not notable, but all were good. Huge beer selection.
November 18, 1997
Kathryn D.
This is our favorite seafood restaurant on the coastside. Maybe not as elegant as some (plastic tablecloths), but the food is much better and much more consistant. Yes, there is a lot of fried food, but the fresh steamed crab in season is heavenly and right now my husband could probably live on the Snapper Veracruz. Be sure to check the menu board for more extensive listings. The menus are only a small part of what is actually served. Any fish can be broiled rather than fried, though the Fish Trap Special is all the best of the sea fried crispy -- enough for two or three!
June 7, 1997
The food was ok -- but, just about everything is fried. I liked the fried zuchini a lot, but I wish there were more choices. The seafood salads are really expensive! Sitting outdoors is great. Even when it is cold, the heaters on the front porch do a great job. My friend who likes fried seafood likes this place more than I do.
February 19, 1997
I ate there for lunch while out for an interview at UCSF. It was a beautiful day, so I ate outside. The calamari was superb and their clam chowder was excellent. Who know's... maybe this is why we moved from Tennessee to California!!