Mandarin Garden

Recent Reviews for Mandarin Garden
March 20, 2008
R B.
California
Provides a very nice dining experience; good food, good service, great ambiance. What more could you want??
August 19, 2006
A friend and I who frequently eat at Chinese restaurants tried the Mandarin Garden for the first time, today. My yardsticks for Chinese is quality of their Hot & Sour soup and their steamed dumplings. Both were absolutely great. The Shredded Pork w/green pepper and the Deluxe Vegetables were perfection. This spot is on our definitely revisit list.
July 27, 2005
The food was delicious, the service from the waiter was satisfactory, but I believe it was the owner who came to tend to us afterwards and he did an excellent job. My girlfriend didn't know what to order as we had agreed to both try something new, and the (owner?) specially prepared a chicken with vegetables plate for her . As for myself I got the stuffed eggplants and it was delicious. I definately recommend this place, the food was excellent.
June 15, 2003
Anton T.
Oakland , California
In general, I agree with the reviewers who have written about Mandarin Garden - or Wing's, as we often call it - it's simply the best Chinese food I've had outside of NYC. It's good, got great atmosphere and wonderful service - not simply fast and careful, but also caring and there to help. We have gone to Mandarin Garden since I was very young - I still remember ordering the sweet Shanghai Shrimp when I was young. They have wonderful Mu Shu, their Mongolian Beef is excellent, sizzling stuff is great - nothing I've ever had to complain about. And the Hot and Sour soup is amazing. Sometime, we stopped going there. Mandarin Garden is slightly more expensive than other Chinese places, and with good reason - the food is excellent. But, it's also a reasonable drive for us to that area of Berkeley, so we started going to Little Shin Shin on Piedmont Ave in Oakland, which is much closer but not as good. I still miss those monthly trips to Win ... more
February 16, 2000
Kawai C.
good chinese. beats $1 chinese by far.
May 17, 1999
By far, the best Chinese restaurant available in Berkeley. Thetraditional stuff is good but the best and tastiest are the thingsthat Bob, the owner, suggests. Ask him, he knows!
August 3, 1998
Gail G.
Portland , Oregon
My favorite Chinese restaurant in the East Bay. The service is very friendly, especially Anita who does most of it, but sometimes it's a bit slow if they're busy. You can order just about anything you want, even if you don't see it on the menu ("Anita, I'm in the mood for prawns today." "I can make it with broccoli or asparagus. Do you want it spicy?") I recommend the sizzling rice soup, my favorite way to start off dinner here.
October 3, 1997
Jong S.
There seasonal special dishes include crabs, whole fish (rock cod), shark spin soup, and peking duck. These are really excellent. All the menu is authentic and done right. Highly recommended. Price is also quite reasonable.
May 19, 1997
Lexy G.
A much better than average Chinese restaurant convenient to the Cal campus. There's plenty of boring stuff to be had here, but there are also plenty of outstanding dishes. Be sure to try: --Mandarin Meatballs w/ Spinach. Light pork meatballs served in a brown sauce w/ lily buds and fungus over a bed of spinach. A great comfort food. --Lemon Chicken. I know, I know. Lemon chicken is generally an abomination served under a sauce that looks like radioactive snot. I promise that this is different. First, the sauce is CLEAR. Second, it contains chunks of LEMON and LEMON PEEL. Third, it actually has some tartness to do battle w/ its sweetness. I blush every time I order this, but it is really good. --Crispy Whole Chicken Mixed in Green Onion and Brown Sauce. A bit wordy, but very tasty. Fried chicken, cut up on the bone. Served in brown sauce with a generous pile of ginger and green onion on top. I've had many versions of this dish, and this is on ... more
June 20, 1996
Kenji H.
Hayward , California
Mandarin Garden is one of my favorite Chinese restaurants, and probably the best one near the Berkeley campus. The service is excellent, the waiters are very friendly and helpful. The food is very good and you'll get pretty full on the servings. The decor is decent, too, not something you'd expect if you've gone to any of the Chinese restaurants nearby. Some good dishes: Hot and Sour soup is a yummy appetizer, Kung Pao Chicken and Sizzling Seafood are two entrees I liked. The crispy duck is pretty good too.