Ethiopia Restaurant

Recent Reviews for Ethiopia Restaurant
May 5, 2007
John B.
fall river , Massachusetts
I never ate ethopian food and now I know why. It brought me back to africa and i didnt even want to go.
May 1, 2004
Robert C.
Corpus Christi , Texas
Ethiopia Restaurant's newspaper ads claim that they are the home of "792 vegetarian combinations". I'm not really sure how they arrived at that number, but if you feel like working out the math yourself to verify it, feel free. <br> All I can tell you is that they are the home of some pretty good Ethiopian food (but not nearly as good or fresh as Addis, down the street in Oakland), good service, reasonable prices, and strong honey wine (tej). <br> Unlike at Addis, our orders came rather quickly and we were treated as guests rather than intruders. (However, it did take an unusually long time to get our check when we were ready to leave.) <br> We ordered both the veggie combo for $8.50 and the meat combo (also $8.50). The veggie combo included Ye'abesha Gomen (collard greens), Tekil Gomen (cabbage and potatoes), Engudei We't (mush stew), Atkilt We't (string beans, zuchinni and carrots) and Shiro We' ... more
January 14, 2002
I was happy to see that (finally) the other reviewers' comments were consistent with my thoughts. Most Ethiopian restaurants are quite similar and there are tons of pleasant ones along Telegraph Avenue. This one is slightly better than the rest in my opinion. And as other reviewers pointed out, it is far better and more authentic than the more popular Blue Nile.
November 21, 2001
There is great ethiopian food all over the bay area, however consistently the best has been Ethiopia Restaurant.
July 31, 2001
I am a huge fan of vegetarian Ethiopian dishes. But I was disappointed by Ethiopia. Though they do have a huge selection of vegetarian dishes and combos, all fairly inexpensive, the food wasn't quite as good as I expected it to be. The biggest problem was that a few of the dishes were extremely oily. I've never known Ethiopian food to be greasy before I went to this restaraurant. Grease was literally oozing out of the dishes, and soaking through the injera. And one of the dishes was served lukewarm, and tasted as if it had been sitting in a vat for a long time before reaching my plate. On the positive side, the red lentil dish was really good, as was the cabbage/potato dish (though a little greasy). And they give you an abundance of injera for free. However, the carrot/string bean dish, usually my favorite, was so greasy it was almost creamy, and almost inedible. In my eyes, this restaurant is no better or worse than Blue Nile, but still quite inferior to Ethiopian resta ... more
July 14, 2000
Rachel P.
New Britain , Connecticut
Much, much better than it's competitor down the street. The Ethiopia Restaurant is a favorite. I love Ethiopian food. I love the bread, I love eating with my hands and dipping the bread into all the different and unique flavors. I really really like the spicing at this place. They get it just right each time, which seems like a miracle to me. Also the price and the atmosphere, at the Ethiopia restaurant are both extremely good. I reccomend a combo plate. So you can have a lot of variety. Vegitarians will love this place.
June 9, 2000
Cynthia G.
Much more "authentic" than The Blue Nile down the street (who makes their injera as if it were a crepe). Very cheap for the amount of food given (the vegetarian combo can easily be split by two people)! Try the spicy lentils and the spicy raw beef. A delicious and interesting salad comes wit most meals.
June 5, 1999
Matt C.
This is the best ethopian food I've had in the east bay.The injera is perfectly done, and the doro wot (spicy chickenstew) and vegetable combination we had were both excellent.The restaurant has plenty of seating, both indoor and outdoor;in fact, it seemed that not many people knew of this place, because otherwise it would be packed.Although the lighting and decor leave a little to be desired,the staff was very pleasant and competent.I'd highly recommend this restaurant, both as your first placeto eat ethiopian, and just for the general quality of the food!
March 29, 1998
Peter M.
I like this place considerably better than Blue Nile, another ethiopian restauraunt down the street. The vegetarian menu is really very good. Service takes a while, though seating is immediate, so bring along good conversation to entertain yourself while the food is being prepared.
June 21, 1996
Gene A.
Oakland , California
Great food. A good variety of dishes, ranging from mild to very spicy, and a good selection of vegetarian dishes. I recommend the various combination plates -- a great way to get a lot of different tastes in one meal.