Giovanni's Aloha Shrimp

January 18, 2012
Sleezy
Aiea , Hawaii
3 reviews , 1 photo
A must go for anyone visiting Hawaii or living here at least once. When I first heard that there was a rickety van parked along the side of the road selling shrimp, I was a little hesitant to go. The last time I ate something out of a road side van I woke up in Gallop New Mexico with no cash, 32 stiches in my head, and a tattoo of the Autobots symbol. Giovanni's shrimp does not disappoint! The shrimp scampi is the best and don't be afraid to get your hands dirty. They also offer a spicy shrimp, watch out though. I tried it and wow...I have not tasted something that hot since my drunken hillbilly parents made me and my cousin have a habanero eating contest. He won in a landslide but cried afterwards and couldn’t sleep for 2 days so I call it even. However, If you like it spicy, go for it. There is a big shaded area to eat and relax from your day in the sun. I highly recommend Giovanni's.
May 29, 2007
B W.
California
I dunno the shrimp was kind of bland to me. They didn't give you much but charge you a lot and you wait a long time too.
November 8, 2006
A B.
honolulu , Hawaii
Good shrimp place to eat at when you're in the area.
September 30, 2004
T S.
Gas City , Indiana
Great place to eat, the prices are good, atmosphere is wonderful and the people are great. Try it and you'll see what I mean.
April 13, 2004
Phil B.
New York , New York
We didn't know it was here either. But the shrimp was great, the people are wonderful and for the amount of food we got, you can't beat the price.My family & I came here a couple of years ago when we were driving around Oahu & we had a great time!
December 12, 2003
Deb M.
Albermarle , North Carolina
I'm with you guys. We didn't know it was here either. But the shrimp was great, the people are wonderful and for the amount of food we got, you can't beat the price. Try it!!!!
July 31, 2003
Hey, I didn't know this place was in Laie, either! I always thought it was in Kahuku, but no worries. My family & I came here a couple of years ago when we were driving around Oahu & we had a great time! BIG portions of shrimp! We ordered one plate of each kind, then dove in. The garlic shrimp is very garlicky, and the one with butter is kind of dull, but the hit is the really spicy/hot one! Ouch! We had beer with us in the car and it hit the spot with the hot shrimp dish. The people-watching was a lot of fun, too. My brother used to be stationed at Kaneohe MCB and he was a regular here as well. By all means, go out of your way to eat at Giovanni's! The girls who waited on me were cute, too, so that didn't hurt.
July 17, 2003
Eileen O.
Amherst , New Hampshire
Warning: Long review, but possibly interesting. I cannot believe that no one has reviewed this place before, as it's the worst kept secret on Oahu (or so I'm told). We heard about Giovanni's from our Hawaiian hosts, from a cab driver, and read a quick blurb about it in some rental car guide book. Yet here I am, the first kid on the block, scribbling something. So be it. First off, the location is interesting. The natives told me that this place was in Kahuku next to the sugar refinery, on the Main Drag (King Kamehameha Highway) and easy to find. The telephone book lists this place as being in Laie, so I've got to go with that, I guess. I've checked my map and one town kind of melts into the next, and I give up. Hey, the Main Drag is REALLY LONG, so keep going long enough and you'll find it. At any rate, Giovanni's sits on the north end of Oahu. This set-up is not what I expected, and I hate to give away the surprise, but we almost m ... more