Downtown

Berkeley, CA

Category: Seafood

Recent Reviews for Downtown
January 19, 2003
I have eaten here four times and every single dish, plus most of those of my companions have been little short of perfect. The last time I ate there I had the seafood chowder, perfectly spiced with leeks, saffron and the usual boullabaise ingredients but the seafood was very fresh. My friends had a perfectly cooked steelhead that was fresh and the dish was mostly the fish, not overprocessed or spiced. The desserts were extraordinary, as usual, mine was sauteed apple and calvados ice cream. All of us left the restaurant feeling satisfied, not stuffed, though all the portions were quite large. The wine list was excellent and not overpriced. The service was very friendly, attentive not obtrusive. The tables are sufficiently spaced for conversation. All in all a wonderful experience and I believe a very good value. If you don't want to drive, it is right at the downtown Berkeley BART.
May 13, 2002
Michael F.
California
The kitchen puts out very fine food to be sure, appitizers, entrees, and deserts. My 4-star rating is on the weak side of "4". I found the menu to be a bit too restricted (small). To be sure, there can be good reasons for a small menu but it didn't apply here. Our party of 10 was served by a gentleman that did not have customer satisfaction as his driving vision. He forgot that "food" is a service industry. This is a blemish that falls squarely on the management of this eating establishment. The vision of a restaurant should've been formed even before the door open. Wheelchair friendly. Huge push button door openers, neat-o.
January 24, 2002
Sensational fresh seafood of all kinds. Reasonable prices, good service, excellent wine list, full bar