Sakae

3.4/5.0

240 Park Rd. (off of Burlingame Ave.)

Burlingame, CA

Category: Japanese

Recent Reviews for Sakae
February 15, 2002
My wife and I decided to try this place mostly out of curiosity since we constantly see the commercials during japanese programming. I wish I could comment on the sushi, but our order was lost, and after 20-30 minutes waiting we gave up and left. I was impressed, however, to see several items on the daily menu that are out of season and that I was not able to find in Tokyo or New York recently. The few dishes that we did get would be a little above average for a decent restaurant in Japan. Mostly, though, the prices are simply outrageous. I have paid similar prices in NY, LA, and Tokyo (I like sushi :) at upscale restaurants and not felt cheated. But we're talking about Burlingame in a restaurant that looks exactly like something I would expect to see a block from a university campus with a $5 lunch deal. If they improve the service, and drastically improve the interior you might be able to forgive the location and justify the prices. more
December 15, 2000
Erick P.
San Jose , California
Great sushi/sashimi at a premium price. My wife and I love this restaurant as it transports us to Tokyo whenever we walk in. Service is very nice and the fish is always fresh. Sake selection is probably the best in the Bay Area. The only drawback is the high prices ($35 for Sashimi Deluxe platter of 22 pcs. WITHOUT Rice or Miso Soup!!!). Whenever we feel like splurging on Japanese food, we head for Sakae. Otherwise, Kisaku in San Mateo would be our second choice.
October 22, 2000
Ron
Massachusetts
The lesser known sushi restaurant along Burlingame Avenue. I believe it has better sushi than what you find at Isobune. It also has a smaller, more intimate atmosphere.