Shiok!

4.0/5.0

Chestnut Ave

Menlo Park, CA

Category: Thai

Recent Reviews for Shiok!
October 28, 2001
The next best thing to being in Singapore. If you miss Laksa, Mee Goreng, Oyster Omelette, Hokkien Mee etc.. this is the place for you!! By far the most Authentic S'pore food I can find around here!! Try the Chilli crabs - Most famous Singapore dish!!
October 28, 2001
Its about time someone got it right!! This is the place I go when I miss my Rojak, Roti Prata and Beef Rendang. I was so glad my Singapore friends introduced this place to me!! I immediately feel like I'm in Singapore when I step into this place. A must go for Singapore food lovers.
May 5, 2001
This little jewel replaces Ariel in Menlo Park. The space is warm, colorful and relaxed. And the food? Singaporean food is an eclectic mix of Chinese, Malay and Indian influences; kind of the California cuisine of southeast Asia. I recommend two noodle dishes: the Seafood Mee Goreng (Indian influenced noodles) and the Hokkien Mee (Chinese-style noodles). The barbecued trout on a banana leaf is unique. For a treat, splurge on the Singapore Chili Crab which is messy but too die for (don't forget to get some sweet buns or roti prata - a flat bread).
April 18, 2001
Ashish P.
Palo Alto , California
Good food at a reasonable price. For those unfamiliar with Singaporean/Malayasian cuisine (as I am), it was not a shock to the senses as I thought it might be. The flavors are different, but not something which the average person couldn't handle. I particularly liked the Rendang, which a beef "curry", in which the sauce is reduced quite a bit. The meat is very tender. The Lhaksa, which is a noodle soup, has a very intense fishy taste, so be prepared. Lastly, splurge for the coconut rice instead of the plain jasmine. It's worth the extra fifty cents.
April 21, 2000
This should have a higher rating than 2.0 Try the Seafood Mee Goreng! Delicious! Chicken rice is oozed with ginger flagrance and soft tender chicken meat!