Left Bank Menlo Park

Recent Reviews for Left Bank Menlo Park
February 18, 2009
Isuara D.
Bay Area , California
Went to this location before they expanded to Santa Row. It was good or better bistro style fare. We do still go but at the other location. Love their frites.
October 17, 2002
John C.
Not a quiet place, but the French food is good-to-very good, and it's a nice place for a dinner with friends or spouse. Not for kids unless they can deal with relatively authentic French entrees (and you can deal with the cost). Though the noise level is more like a popular "hangout" place than a spot for an intimate dinner for two, ambience is upscale and the service was good. Selection is fairly broad and is typical of French cafe-style restaurants, rather than haute cuisine. I had a special, pot-au-feu, which was generous-sized and extremely tasty. My wife's steak was well prepared but not exceptional. A nice wine list, and the appetizer and desserts were excellent. With appetizers and desserts, the price for the two of us (with tax and tip, but excluding wine) was $100.
April 24, 2002
As mentioned on the previous review, you will find this rest. somehow noisy but acceptable. The quality (my wife said it is good)and quantity of the food is in average within this price range. It's a good restaurant and I will be go back sometimes.
July 5, 2000
Jim F.
This has become an extremely popular hang out in Menlo Park. Crowds of quite a mix of folks can be seen milling about on weekends and holidays. The food, although not in the top tier in the bay area, is quite decent and nicely presented. I have dined here several times, and the service is usually (but unfortunately not always) attentive and polite. The atmosphere can be quite loud and intrusive, making it less desirable for intimate encounters. Overall, however, it is a worthwhile addition to the peninsula's culinary armamentarium.
May 6, 2000
Denis L.
I have eaten at Left Bank several times in the past few weeks, both for lunch and for dinner, and overall this is not a bad place to go. It's very big, with an industrial-like service and an army of staff who will consistently forget what you ordered. I don't know how many people work in the kitchen, but I'm sure none of them are French. The food is rather good, though servings vary a lot. Some dishes will only satisfy small apetites. Worth trying to make your own opinion. Actually this place reminds me a lot of "Il Fornaio", except with a French theme: totally fake, with food rating from pretty good to very good. Not recommended for a romantic evening with someone special.
May 6, 2000
Denis L.
October 7, 1999
My wife and I kept an eye on this place while it was being built. We decided to give it a few months to "work out the kinks" before giving it a try. We went home somewhat disappointed. The room is quite lovely, with a Paris-like feel. However, we found the food generally average, lacking depth or interest. The service was fine, though not great. It's quite noisy. When leaving we took a look around and concluded it's something like dining on a cruise ship. The food as an appeal to the masses quality that will not offend, but will not impress. Moreover, one look at the people dining there (a large selection of "Atherton older adults, " translate to mean old rich White people) further reinforced the "cruise ship" quality of this place. Good enough to try again, but at these prices, there are plenty of clearly better places in the Bay Area (e.g., Fringale, to name one, cheaper and MUCH better).