Viognier

September 1, 2006
Nancy S.
San Francisco , California
247 reviews , 1 photo
Went to lunch here. Very expensive restaurant that is upstairs from Draeger's supermarket. Service was good, but the food was not as wonderful as most say. The portions were extremely small the choices very limited. I'd like to try it for dinner sometime in hopes that the choices were better and the portions were a bit larger, but I have a feeling they would not be. I think I'd stick to comparably priced restaurants in SF.
June 14, 2000
Robyn G.
This has to be one of the best restaurants I have been to. I have been there many times and have enjoyed it every time! We always start out with the large seafood platter. It is wonderful and so fresh, a perfect combination with a martini or chardonnay. I always love to get the lobster or duck salad next, both very refreshing. They have an extensive wine list and the servers really know ther stuff. I like the service, very cold and courteous. For dinner I usually have a special. I usually order lamb or shellfish and it has always been superb. There desert list is great. I usually end with the rasberry tart of goat cheese plate. I can't imagine anyone not loving this place and have sent many people there. Do control yourself though, a good bottle of wine, apps, entrees and desert for two will run you about $150-$200. But a very affordable price for the total experience. If you haven't gone already, it is a must try! Thanks! Robyn
July 12, 1998
Jim F.
Definitely a keeper. Part of the San Mateo Draegers complex with the cooking school located a sliding glass door away. Attractive but casual surroundings. Curteous, generally attentive staff. Quite inventive offerings and a solid wine list. Foie Gras is nicely done. Veal Loin (with Hazelnut coating) and Grilled Scallops were both excellent. A Frozen Almond Souffle was superb and exemplary of the inventive and generally well executed dishes. Expect full dinner for two without wine $70-90. This is going on my list.
February 4, 1998
Angelo S.
I have been to Viognier three times, always for lunch. It has always been an enjoyable experience, the service has been irregular, ranging from decent to excellent in one case. The food was quite good, their specials have been consistently better than their menu items however, I specially remember a seafood bisque with longing... Chef Danko is only there for dinners so im not really qualified to give this place a final rating. Lunches were not price fixed any longer as they used to be when the place opened. lunch for two run for about 70$, and well worth it.
January 19, 1998
Gavan B.
I have been there for brunch and dinner and both times the food was impressive. We started off with 2 orders of the Oysters in the half shell accompanied with a shallot mignonette. My partner had a mixed green salad with a thyme shallot vinaigrette and topped with crumbled goat cheese and I had the pumpkin soup. All very good. For dinner I had the slow-spit roasted duck with foie gras under its crispy skin (like a potato chip!) over a bed of black and white rice (a little chewy) with a sundried cherry sauce. The sommelier recommended a nice Oregon Pinot Noir to go with my dinner. My boyfriend had the filet mignon with a delicious demi glace over garlic mashed potatoes and a side of baby root vegetables. Presentation was perfect..food as art...very nicely done. For dessert we shared a chocolate gateau with a caramel filling and topped with a scoop of vanilla bean gelato..Excellent! The service was professional and friendly. Our server answered all of our questions and went ... more