Chapeau!

3.5/5.0

1408 Clement Street

San Francisco, CA

Category: Bistro

Recent Reviews for Chapeau!
June 26, 2007
Nancy S.
San Francisco , California
247 reviews , 1 photo
Finally got reservations for this place after hearing so many good things about it, but we were disappointed. It is so very crowded and the noise level is awful. We had to practically yell to be heard. The food is good, but they are very snobby at this place. Took us a long time to get a reservation, and even when we said it was a special occasion they could have cared less. There are a lot of places in SF where the food is better, the service people much nicer and the noise level is not an issue. We will not go back.
March 20, 2005
A big disappointment. I came there on a crowded saturday. Found a nail in my food!!! The service is lame, overpolite and slow. Too many waiters for such a small place. The chef is an egocentric, pretentious, loud and yet sympathic person due to huge amount of overpricey wine inhibited in his body. I do not recommend Chapeau
January 23, 2004
Live L.
Ann Arbor , Michigan
This is a very good French Bistro. The food is very good and the dessert was excellent. What really stands out was the service. Phiippe and his staff was excellent! They were friendly and efficient. You don't see this kind of service anymore. Also, let Philipppe choose your wines for you. You cannot go wrong with his selection. This man really know his wines.
December 28, 2003
Johnathan W.
los Angeles , California
Excellent food. Service was great. Only problem was that I'm a big guy and the tables are so close together.
December 18, 2003
Michael F.
California
This is an exciting dining experience. This is a French Bistro style restaurant, however, it serves food that can rival the creativity and execution of the finest French restaurants. <br> The chef must be a true master who is able to create along so many dimensions and execute with great precision. I can only say that each dish (appetizer, entree, soup, dessert) was a project unto itself, a symphony of taste, texture, proportion. <br> Wine is also an expertise of this establishment. <br> Given all this mastery, this place is far from snobby or stuffy. The proprietor, a Frenchman, was warm, genuine, and passionate about everyting. <br> The ambiance is Bistro like, not sophisticated like a Camptom Place or Ritz Carlton.It is a neighborhood restaurant so it fits the bill. You can drop in sort of casual or formal and be OK. <br> This place has been discovered but it ha ... more
October 15, 2000
I have been to Chapeau! three times and each time it has been absolutely wonderful. The food and service was impeccable. Phillip and his wife add a personal touch treating every customer as a good friend. The food was divine. From appetizer to dessert, each entree was prepared to perfection. Each and every morsel of food was delectable offering your palatte a heavenly experience. It is best to go with lots of friends. This way, Phillip can select a variety of wines to go with the food. From beginning to end, the ambiance was memorable.
September 7, 2000
Trac L.
January 16, 2000
The food was fine, BUT, the tables are so smashed together that you cannot avoid literally stepping on other customers on the way in and out. More importantly, the NOISE level was so loud that I was shouting for two hours at my dinner companions. I don't mind fairly tight restaurants (think Fingale) if it is within the range of tolerability. HOWEVER, this place is way over the top, -- there is no way that the service or food could be good enough to make up for the fact that you are tortured in a 120 decibal sardine can. I would not return (even though the food was fine).
August 29, 1999
Greg B.
I have eaten at Chapeau! five times. Everything I or anyone with me has had has been excellent. The Cassoulet is particularly good, but filling. Last night I had cold tomato and basil soup, duck, and perfiteroles. All excellent as were the mussles and fries, scallop, onion soup, and salmon. Prices reasonable, service excellent, a little crowded now that the word is out, superb and an affordable wine list. All in all hard to beat.
October 29, 1997
Lawrence M.
Chapeau means hat. With an exclamation point, it means wow! That's how I felt when I had the sweetbreads. Although the cassoulet didn't generate the same reaction, it was very satisfying. It had duck confit that was well done and not fatty tasting. My date enjoyed the rack of lamb and would recommend it. They have 3 prefixe menus at about $20 (appetizer, main course and dessert), one of which is vegetarian. We would have tried the good-looking desserts, but were too full. Maybe we'll have the souffle next time. We went on a Friday and it was packed. The noise level was close to distracting. Because they place the tables close together, don't expect a quiet, romantic French dinner here蓉nless you request the table by the front window or make a late reservation, like after 9 p.m.