Thai E Sun

Recent Reviews for Thai E Sun
March 16, 2010
SFOFoodJunkie W.
California
Love this place because of several different reasons. one of those is the fact that this is family run and the owners themselves are very hands on in the running of the place. they are very friendly which makes you feel like you're eating at a very loving relatives home and that you are special and part of the family. their food is top class as well, perfectly spiced, made with fresh vegetables and ingredients. to top it all of, their price is also very reasonable considering the portion sizes they serve.
October 12, 2001
After having a couple of bad experiences with our resturant first time trials, we were quite sceptical in trying this one, but the previous reviews helped. We called in for a reservation and as a very personal gesture our reserved table had some fresh flowers which was really sweet. The food was excellent, everything was not only cooked fully, but also had a great aroma which took the cake. The Veg Spring Rolls are quite different to the ones which we always had, but what different, they were fabulous, a must try....We ordered the Grilled marinated chicken and Red Curry and all I can say is we can have it again any time. The hostess is very friendly. The atmosphere is very casual no formal dinning and the excellent food will always take you back to the resturant.
August 20, 2001
Margaret C.
San Francisco , California
Ever since my boyfriend and I just happened on this review, we have gone to Thai E Sun almost once a week. We are fans of the E Sun noodles and the poh pai(egg rolls)and e sun (rice wrapped egg rolls) are excellent. This is definitely our favorite Thai resturant. Its family run (which is so refreshing)and the hostess Sandy is wonderful, hard working, and always ready with a smile. The portions are very generous and the prices cannot be beat. If you observe her clientele, you will realize they are loyal to her and the great thai staples she serves. You won't lose with Thai E sun and you'll probably end up as we did, good friends with Sandy.
August 14, 2001
I love it. The tasty food at a tasty price. The great waiters and waitresses...what more can you ask for? This cute little resturant is just a few blocks away from the campus and close to a lot of businesses and theatres, so they get pretty busy during the lunch shift. The place is family owned, so it there is this family, love atmosphere when you eat there. It's like an experience. I've recently brought my friends from New York to eat there, and they loved it. You get a pretty good portion for every dish. Enough to go around the whole table. I recommend the E Sun fresh rolls ( #3 on the appetizer menu ). For dessert, the sweet sticky rice and mangos, are just too good to describe! All of the seafood dishes are great.
August 10, 2001
Thai E Sun is a charming restaurant with friendly owners, Leon and Sandy with two lovely children, Betty and Abbey and their cousin the waitress, Sandy. The restaurant is always clean and the atmosphere is relaxing. The food is excellent, fresh and consistent and cooked with care and love of preparation. All people who enjoy great Thai food should bon appetite at Thai E Sun for this restaurant is the missing link. By the way, I will see you there.
March 10, 2001
Chuck C.
Thai food is some of the vibrantly spiciest cuisines in the world. And Thai E Sun, in my humble opinion, makes the tastiest Thai food in the area. My favorites are the curries, and the fish soups. I've been there a half a dozen times, and had something different every time. The food is so fresh - you'd swear its never even been in a refrigerator. Berkeley wasn't, previously, one of my normal destinations for eating. But it is now.
October 1, 2000
Tashi D.
berkeley , California
sandy, the owner is a funny, whitty woman. the specials which the last 6 times i have been there were seafood specialties, are quite excellent. a somewhat hidden gem in berkeley, the thai fresh rolls with hints of sweet basil served in a translucent rice paper is to die for! the experience is heavenly; i swear it's like getting an interior massage.
June 27, 2000
Kaela K.
berkeley , California
yup. i must agree w/ everyone else. i tried this restaurant for lunch today w/ a friend for the first time. i had a lad go (i think that's what it's called) while my friend tried this tofu curry. we both liked our food. the only bad thing was that my friend's entree didn't come out until she asked about it. it took awhile. i am still not sure what happened. my entree had flat, wide rice noodles w/ chicken and broccoli. it's sorta like pad see-ew except that it was covered in this "special gravy sauce." although it was a noodle dish, i think rice would've been nice. we were one of the last ppl to leave for lunch since we left around 2:30. the owner talked to us. through her thick accent, i understood some things. she said that the lunch crowd thins out around 1:30 or so, and that her restaurant's usually really crowded. i guess next time, that's good to remember. we didn't need to wait. this restaurant's in downtown berkeley. so i guess a lot of busi ... more
June 28, 1997
I've been here a number of times, and every dish I've had was great. Very fresh, good ingredients, and not oily. The soups are great (Poo-Tak esp.). I've primarily tried the hot&spicy dishes, such as the calamari yum salad (w/onion, chili and mint) and the tofu green curry. The pad thai is also good, but like I say I haven't had anything here that wasn't done well. The service is nice and subdued, and the place has never been crowded while I was there (I've been hesitant to enter a review for fear of crowds, but I'd rather they stay in business ... sometimes it seems a little *too* quiet). It's a little small, but clean and new. I've eaten at many of the Thai restaurants in Berkeley and I'd say this place gives Cha Am a run for my top ranking. One weirdness - I tried to go there once on a Wednesday at 7:30PM and they turned me away because they were vacuuming! Must have been a slow night. Hasn't happened since, at least to me!
June 23, 1997
There is certainly no shortage of Thai restaurants in Berkeley. Nonetheless, this is a very welcome addition to a (perhaps too) long list. By far my favorite Thai in town. A wonderful variety of terrifically prepared dishes. Everything tastes very fresh - and not overcooked so that the flavors of the individual ingredients can be appreciated.Try the fresh spring roll appetizer. The ambience is dull - which is to say nice and quiet (perfect for eating)- and sparsely decorated - not at all a scene - lots of space between tables. But who knows for how long.