Fratello's

Recent Reviews for Fratello's
June 11, 2007
Ken C.
San Jose , California
A delightful surprise in a non-descript shopping mall. Very intimate and friendly. Genuine Italians cooking and serving the food. Reminded me of the best Italian restaurants in little Italy in Manhattan, New York City. Cozy little bar is very entertaining place to wait for your table. I had reservations but there was still a wait. Most items in the $12 to $15 range.
June 10, 2005
Fratello's is the best Italian restaurant in San Jose--absolutely reminds me of my trips to Italy. True Southern Italian cuisine served by brothers, Carmine and Guilio. Fresh pasta--always perfectly done, wonderful regional specials and a superior wine list (let Carmine guide you through the Italian selections). My current favorite dish is polenta served with sausage and marinara--total comfort food! Staff is very friendly and helpful. There is usually musicial entertainment on Friday and Saturday. Even though Fratello's is in a strip mall, the expanded interior and exterior have been nicely upgraded and have a distinctly Euro atmosphere. Make a reservation and try this neighborhood treat.
April 22, 2003
Cute and open atmosphere within a strange modern looking mini mall. Music is very strange for an italian resturant, being of that new age techno format you'd expect in a european dance club. The service was good, if a little hesitant while at the same time getting in the way of your meal (if that is possible). About 6 standard vegetarian type dishes, not counting pizza's, so focus is not in that area veggie lovers. The food did have a high quality taste, with very good presentation. But not very large portions, my guest (a notorious light eater) needed desert. Wine list was good and parking was ample.
June 5, 2001
Elaine B.
San Jose , California
The uninspiring location in a strip mall is about the only bad thing you can say about this restaurant. The interior is tastefully done, very soothing to the eye, with an attractive bar area up front. The time I went it was pretty early, about 5:30, so I'm sure it isn't always that quiet, but it was pretty darn peaceful, and the waiter sat my husband and me away from the other diners for a little privacy. There's nothing worse than walking into a near-empty restaurant and being sat in a little clump of people all in one section, so this was definitely a welcome touch. I tried the house red, which was very good and inexpensive at $4.95, and together my husband and I consumed about two baskets of the wonderful freshly baked bread, which came with a dish of olive oil, garlic and something else mixed in that was just amazingly good. Couldn't leave it alone. We started off sharing a spinach salad with clams, roasted red peppers and feta -- an unusual combination, but ver ... more
June 2, 2001
Bart B.
Charlottesville , Virginia
This is an excellent local Italian restaurant smack dab in the middle of a strip mall. Luckily, the interior of the restaurant is better than the exterior. The food is very good. The only issue my wife and I had was the bread pudding had way too much nutmeg. On the whole recommended for locals to try.
May 25, 2000
I absolutely love this restraunt! It is probably my favorite italian restraunt outside of Italy and I would recommended to absolutely anyone! The servers are wonderful, the atmosphere is relaxed and can be either casual or dressy. They don't rush you and welcome you to sit for as long as you like after and during your meal. I give this place rave reviews!
April 29, 1997
Bill W.
This is a small freindly neighborhood restaurant in Willow Glen speciallizing in Southern Italian cooking. The menu is not overwhelming simplifying the task of making your selection. Good appetizers, soups, salads and pastas. If you get the Willow Glen newspaper keep an eye out for their coupon--usually good for a serving of polenta when you order an entre. They also have some good wines to go with your meal.