Giovanni's Pizzeria

Recent Reviews for Giovanni's Pizzeria
March 26, 2007
Greg S.
Sunnyvale , California
Finally! a pizza place that satisfies a New Yorker. And, they'll give you the hairy eyeball for even thinking of pineapple chicken as a topping. I'm a pizza perfectionist. Otherwise, my New York citizenship would be revoked. In my 11+ years of being out there, this is the best. And, I've searched long, far, and wide. The hot sandiwches and calzones are very good, too. Enough to make you want to warm up your clothes like Costanza & Steinbrenner. (Now, let's look for bagels...)
January 11, 2004
Mark S.
Sunnyvale , California
An ok pizza - for the money - Giorgio and FJL is better. Crust is pretty good, sauce is ok, skimpy toppings - based on getting a large vegi pizzza. Not bad, but I've had better for the money at other places.
July 28, 2003
I was born in NY and lived there for many decades before moving to California. Giovanni's is the only pizza I've found out here that gets NY style pizza right. It's perfect, I could not ask for anything different or better. But they're great for more than pizza! Their entrees rock my socks as well. I eat at Giovanni's at least once a week. The staff is very friendly and know me by name. I can't recommend them highly enough.
February 8, 2002
Randy L.
San Jose , California
I'm reviewing this again because I just can't say enough good things about this place. I have also come to teh conclusion that Michael Pau's review was of another place called Giovanni's in Sunnyvale, not this one. THe one he is thinking og is on Homestead and yes, it is just like a run-down Carrows or something. This place has NO CONNECTION to that one. He wrote the review in the wrong place. That's sad becasue it has an effect on their rating and it's the first review people see. The food at THIS Giovanni's is nothing short of amazing and authentic (or at least as authentic as you can get for New York style Pizza this side ofteh Mississippi.
November 10, 2000
I have not tried the pizza here, but the entrees were overpriced and horrible. This place has the prices of a decent restaurant with the decor of a run-down Carrows with the addition of ants crawling over the menu and table. My lasagna was swimming in grease. I was surprised I did not have a heart attack on the way home. My dates seafood canneloni was also oozing with grease. Some of the reviews must have come from employees of the restaurant. I am never going back. I would not recommend this place to anyone.
October 27, 2000
We've never been disappointed and eat here 2-3 times a month. All the reviews talk about the pizza but this place has terrific main entrees as well.Try the osso bucco, it is very very good.You can also order some items not shown on the menu. Veal Piccata is also very good, Chicken Piccata is not on the menu.You will get Chicken Piccata if you order it!
June 18, 2000
D. D. L.
Sunnyvale , California
Excellent thin crust pizza. The decor is minimal, the atmosphere that of a local hangout, the staff friendly and knowledgable. Their combos are wonderful, and the sausage they use is the best I've ever tasted. One thing to be aware of - the base price is for a pizza with cheese only - no one topping included deals here. Still a good value for what you get.
January 10, 2000
Curtis O.
I prefer thick crust pizza, but I still enjoyed the thin crust pizza here. The crust and sauce is very tasty. I had the combo pizza -- lots of thinly sliced mushrooms, olives, green peppers (pre-cooked?), pepperoni (not too oily), cheese, and sauce. The service was efficient and there is lots of seating. It looks like they have expanded to the space next door. I thought the pizza was priced moderate to expensive for the amount of toppings on it. I would recommend it especially for those liking thin crust pizza.
March 19, 1998
Randy L.
San Jose , California
The rating at the top is misleading. this is definately a 5 star place, despite the sparse decor. The food is excellent! The pizza is without a doubt the best 'real' pizza in the southbay. Not Chicago style , not California style, but real pizza the way it was meant to be. For the best experience here ask for them to make the pie WELL DONE, just like the guys from the old country eat it in NYC. The guys at Giovanni's appreciate it when you know how to order.
March 2, 1998
S J.
If you like thin crust pizza, this place does a pretty good job. If you havn't tried their pizza, you should.