Annapurna

San Carlos, CA

Category: Nepalese

Recent Reviews for Annapurna
August 25, 2000
The restaurant at this address is now a Pakistani place. It's quite good--I sent all my friends there by mistake but we enjoyed the meal. The Nepalese restaurant to hit now is the Himalayan, right over the border in Belmont. I think the address is 1400 El Camino Real. It sounds like the place being reviewed here. The lunch buffet is only $6.95, very large and very excellent. The dinner is also amazingly tasty. I had the mustard marinated grilled chicken. It took awhile to arrive, as it was grilled to order. They seemed sad that I hadn't finished my meal and I had to assure them that it was delicious, just a lot of food for me. I took it to go.
December 28, 1997
Robert C.
What a wonderful place to go for lunch. Our family has been here several times for lunch. They offer everything we would want: Delicious food; dishes for both omnivores and vegetarians; a relaxed atmosphere; friendly and accomidating wait persons; a "kid" friendly atmosphere. We have also gone for dinner, but much prefer the variety and selections offered by the lunch buffet. If you enjoy flavorful foods this is a place you should try.
December 13, 1997
Greg B.
I had lunch here last week. When I walked in and saw the buffet I said this is going to be another tired Indian restuarant, but I found myself pleasantly surprised. Nepalese food is similar in form to Indian, but much less spicy. The flavors are subtler and I found this a refreshing change. I'll have to go back for dieer and try the tikka masala.
November 27, 1997
We have gone to Annapurna many times and always been very happy with both the food and the service. The food is always well prepared and since our family has both omnivores and herbavores in it we have always found food that all could eat. Our child likes the food as well as we do. We often have visited the noon buffet that is offered on weekdays and have found it a delightful way to try new foods, plus it is a real bargain.
November 14, 1997
1. The apetizers were great. Unfortunatelly I remember only Momo which is a really easy name to remember. 2. The main dishes. We were a party of four so we tried a little bit of everything. The tandoori, the chicken tika massala, and the nepali pizza (I dont remember the name) were great. 3. deserts. I dont like deserts, so I can only say what my friends said: "The carrot desert is excellent. The texture and the taste is unique" 4. The catch was the price. We start ordering lots of stuff, so end up with a great bill at the end :)) But its worth every penny!
September 15, 1997
John C.
The Nepalese food is interesting. It's similar to Indian food, but the spices are somewhat different, which gives a slightly different taste from traditional Indian. We did the lunch buffet ($7), and it was good. Plenty of variety, (maybe 15 items) freshly prepared and tasty. Hot bread delivered to the table, also very good. Even the desserts were good. Compared to other mid-Peninsula Indian restaurants for lunch, this place is in the top 10%. I recommend you give it a try. Note that on a Friday at about 12:30 it was just packed.
June 19, 1997
We go try ethnic resturant to see the culture and diff taste of food. As I entered, a warm greeting of Mr Bhagat Gurung (waiter) and his appearance really amused me. On the same time, I notice Some cultural dispalys on the wall and the classical, instrumental music was playing (in other ethnic resturant I don't why they play songs) I tried their dal soup and momo, man it was grrreeaat. In the main course, I tried jhir Jhinge, rice and dal. It was excellent. I would recommend this resturant to everybody who thrills on trying new food.
February 27, 1997
We had carryout - Waiters on Wheels, I think, so I can't comment on the atmosphere, but the food was quite good. Very spicy, but quite good. We had a spicy shredded chicken dish with lots of hot peppers, ginger and garlic and a less spicy fish dish with lime and bell peppers. We've never had Nepalese food before, and it was definitely different than traditional Indian food, but well worth it. We'll definitely go back.