Max's Opera Cafe of Burlingame

May 16, 2005
Nancy S.
San Francisco , California
247 reviews , 1 photo
Yet another Max's which is also good. It's not a fancy restauarnt, and you need a good hearty appetite to finish all they serve as they serve large portions, but the food is consistently good and the desserts are the best! Lately my favorites have been the chicken philly sandwich, the chicken marsala and the pulled pork, but I've never been disappointed by anything that I have ordered on this menu and I keep going back. The desserts are the same as all the Max's, and my favorite one is the Niagara Falls Cake. The regular size pieces of any dessert are still large, but not as large as they used to be. Parking can get tight at this Max's, even with the motel parking available for free if the parking lot is full. It's very casual, so it's a good place for kids too.
July 17, 2000
Willie L.
Irvine , California
Whether you're there for a meal or just desert. This place is a blast to be at. The waiters and waitresses are just short of amazing. Not only do they give great customer service. Most, if not all, sing beautifully. Last time I went with some friends for a birthday dinner. Our waitress was absolutely great! Gives a new tune to the traditional Happy Birthday song. The food portions and dessert are also very delicious. All in all, many different aspects makes this place a great restaurant to go with your friends.
July 10, 2000
DAVID H.
SACRAMENTO , California
This Max's seems to have the best entertainment. The staff is fun and friendly and very talented. The food can be simple to fine dining. I find myself enjoying a pastrami sandwich with the four flavors of mustard, which they claim the pastrami is imported from New York, or a chicken salad sandwich on walnut bread. I always order the fresh brewed hot tea and pour it over ice.
July 10, 2000
A. L.
San Francisco , California
I have eaten at this place for almost my whole life and I would definitely give it a good recomendation. Huge portions, good service and great sandwiches. But make sure you come with a big appetite.
June 16, 2000
Rhonda M.
Moss Beach , California
The food was pretty good but if you want something average like just a ham sandwich, this is not the place. They have things like a ham sandwich that is glazed with Coca-Cola. They do make very good home made bread. My favaorite of the home made breads was one that had nuts & raisins in it. My experience with the service was definitely poor. I had to ask the waitress for everything twice & 3 times to get my check.
June 13, 2000
Robyn G.
This restaurant is not to be confused with fine dining. For the style of restaurant it is, it is very good. The singing is wonderful and creates a great atmosphere. It is very noisy and could have been designed better to damper it. The food is great. The desserts are wonderful! Not a great place for a romantic dinner, but more for family fun! My favorite part is the deserts. Huge portions! Wait can be bad on a weekend, so do make reservations! Thanks! Robyn
March 20, 2000
SF F.
This is my favorite Max's Opera Cafe because I always feel more relaxed dining at this one than any of the other ones I've gone to. They serve HUGE portions. I never leave hungry. And I am always disappointed when I don't have any room left over for dessert. I have to make a separate trip for dessert, and they are as delicious as they look! I love their salads, sandwiches, and pastas. It's never a very long wait for a table (except one time when I had the misfortune of arriving when a convention let out at one of the nearby hotels). (BTW, they do sing at the SF location on Van Ness Ave, but not at the diner on 3rd St.)
March 3, 2000
Audrey E.
New Jersey
Known for its singing waitors, this american restaurant is one of a kind. Also located in San Francisco, however, no singers over there. The pot roast is good and so is the salmon and halibut specials. Reasonably priced restaurant. No reservations needed. There is a piano bar for the singers.
January 25, 1997
Pretty good, Huge, deli style sandwiches. The rye bread is really great. Menu selection is enormous as are the desserts. I've never been able to eat one after my sandwich but they are fun to look at. Expensive for sandwiches but they are good. If you hit the place right, the staff will entertain you (sometimes). Good, huge salads also.
January 15, 1997
Portions far exceed generous and were served quickly and the food was NOT above average. Regular diner type atmosphere -- large open room with nothing to curb the noise level -- nothing special. Not somewhere I would hurry back to a second time if I wanted fine dining. The French Onion Soup was the worst I have ever tasted and rates at a MINUS (-3)stars. 1. Breadcrumbs were stuffed into the soup bowl to replace the crusty slice that should have been on the bottom of the bowl. 2. Hot tasting spice was used to add flavor to what should have been a delightful onion tasting soup. The cheese on A hot spice was added to the extent that neither my friend and I couldn't even get past the first few mouthfuls. We returned the soup close to untouched.