Thai Satay

San Mateo, CA

Category: Thai

Recent Reviews for Thai Satay
November 18, 2006
I went there for the first time and that time will be my last time. I will not return to this restaurant again due to service discrimination. I am Asian and not once the waitstaff came over to check on how my husband and I to see how we were doing or that we needed any water or tea. I didn't mind that they didn't bother us. What was really bothersome was the fact that they went around us to other "non-Asian" couples and diners to check on them (repeatingly!!!)to see how they're doing and what else they needed. I was moreso disappointed at the manager having this attitude towards fellow Asian diners. He gazed at us and just walked away until the the end when he brought the check to us. For Non-Asian diners, you will get the best service here, plenty of kowtowing and smiles. For my fellow Asian diners, if you had a great experience with this place, wonderful. For those of you who haven't try it yet, just something to keep in mind. I guess it may be ... more
May 8, 2005
I had already received a positive recommendation from a close friend when I read this negative posting about Thai Satay. I decided to try the restaurant anyway, and I am very glad that I did. I am a vegetarian and I had no trouble finding interesting, flavorful menu selections. I was intrigued by the previous reviewer's eggroll experience because it states clearly on the menu that the eggrolls contain chicken. It seems that she did not read the menu correctly, and then decided to blame her mistake on the restaurant! The ambiance and service were excellent, and the tables were not oppressively close together as she stated. <br> Overall, I had a great experience at this restaurant eating a vegetarian meal, and my dining partner really enjoyed the chicken satay and the seafood curry. If you like your food spicy be sure to let the server know, because their dishes are not as spicy as other Thai restaurants I have been to in the past.
February 13, 2005
Clearly this place has gone down hill since the last review. Went there today w/my hubby based on the good reviews here. Pretty small and semi-cramped restaurant as seating was a tad too close together. Decor was average Thai decor. Their vegetarian selection was very average to that of any other Thai restaurant. They had a salmon special my hubby ordered which was in a curry coconut milk sauce. I ordered a Tofu spinach dish which was on the specials. For appetizer we ordered egg rolls. I ordered a Thai iced tea. The waiter who took our order was clearly unhappy for some reason as he never smiled or really made eye contact & when he delivered dishes he kind of mildly tossed them on the table and didn't respond in anyway when we said thank you. Our egg rolls arrived not all that long after ordering. My hubby had finished about half his before I took my first bite as they were dangerously too hot to bite into right away! Once I did get a bite I realized there was m ... more
April 14, 1998
Eiji H.
This one of the better Thai restaurants I've been to, and is on-par with Nipa Pon Thai in San Mateo in terms of quality of food. Their lunch specials are great, with soup, salad, and two small entrees. The service is great and attentive, the decor pleasing. The food choice is excellent, and there are a bunch of selections for vegetarians. The taste is distinct, flavorful, and you get cravings for certain dishes from Thai Satay when you're day-dreaming. I highly recommend them. Great place, a frequent destination for my coworkers.
March 13, 1998
Nelson W.
This is a very reasonably priced Thai restaurant that is very flavorful and with ample portions. Lunch can be very busy (a lot of business people) and dinner can be crowded sometimes because of the small seating arrangements. But service and food quality are wonderful. Most times you'll get a smiling face to go along with the great food. Tapioca dessert is a wonderful pallet cleanser after you've had some spicy eggplant or curry dish. Dishes that are labeled spicy are generally not incredibly spicy but has just enough kick to keep your lips tingling.
February 5, 1998
Excellent Thai restaurant, the best we've ever been to on the Penninsula. The portions are larger than most for Thai restaurants. Very tasty and fresh. We recommend the yellow chicken curry. Very reasonably priced, and the service is good too.
November 14, 1996
Rene P.
This is one of the better Thai restaurants on the Peninsula. The food is always good and fresh. Try the fried sweet potatoes. The Sunday brunch is not only fun but reasonably priced. The buffet includes enough variety for everyone to find something they like including omeletes "made to order" with Thai ingredients. The service is always friendly and the presentation is always very nice. A word of advice - if you like your Thai food very spicy, ask for your dish to be hot or you may be disappointed.
April 7, 1996
Consistently nice. Flavorful and accomodating (on request) cooking, always attentive service, appealing atmosphere. Huge menu with a vegetarian subsection. Easily my fave Thai on Peninsula.