Max's

Recent Reviews for Max's
September 1, 2008
Curtis N.
Redwood City , California
We went early (5 pm) on a Friday and they were already crowded. Got seated and waited 15 minutes before we saw a menu. When he did show up, not very friendly or polite. Acted like we were putting him out. The meatloaf had too much filler but the pulled pork sandwich was good. Good size portions but the place was noisy. We still appreciate their great desserts.
November 24, 2006
Ken I.
Castro Valley , California
For dinner, I had the rasberry glazed pork chops with potatoes and mixed vegetables. The chops was well seasoned, tender and complimented the whole meal well. Finished it off with the Niagara Falls cake to satisfy that chocolate craze. Good service and much bigger restaurant than it looks from the front.
October 11, 2000
Very good but can be expensive. I love the mautza ball soup, it is the best. Usually very busy. Service is spotty. Sometimes extremely good and other times very frustrating.
December 8, 1999
On Sunday, December 5, 1999 me, my wife and a close friend all dined at Max's at Sequoia Station. I have been to this Max's several times and I had ordered a tuna melt, just as I have many times before. But if I had known just how SICK I was going to be in the next two hours I would have gladly gone elsewhere. I guess the missing of a days work didnt nearly bother me as much as the repeated VOMITING, but when my wife contacted Max's to warn them that the tuna they might be serving or have served, might be spoiled, their only response was that I had to come down and fill out a "accident report" as if I slipped in the bathroom. Not an apology or anything, except following procedure to avoid a lawsuit. It seems to me that this must happen all the time if that is the only response they can muster. My advice is DONT EAT AT MAX'S. You are taking your health into potential harms way. I already notified the SM County Health Department of this an ... more
February 25, 1997
I've eaten here several times, and I must admit that they serve up pretty good grub. HOWEVER, there have been misses too - like this oriental duck dish i ordered that was just too sweet.. too bad, because if it weren't, the duck itself was cooked well. desserts are what pig-outs are made for - chewy, gooey, and rich.. overall, it's worth a trip..
February 9, 1997
Leo S.
Service is spotty; they tend to leave you alone for long stretches. But it's a good solid eatery. It's virtually impossible to get a light meal here, as all their dishes are prepared according to the philosophy, "Nothing exceeds like excess," so always attend on an empty stomach. This is especially true of the desserts.
December 21, 1996
Steve D.
as casual or formal as you want to it to be. food is good with a nice mixture of pasta, meat, poultry, huge sandwiches and some for the weight watcher. desserts are killers but pricey. downside is that service is spotty, but food is good.
December 11, 1996
We have been Max's fans ever since I introduced my husband to Max's Diner in SF. Contrary to what some ba.foodies say, we think Max's is the best thing to happen to Redwood City in quite awhile. The atmosphere is comfortable - a nice place to go if you feel like "going out," and equally good for a last minute "I don't feel like cooking" evening. Our favorites are the Philly cheesesteak and the reuben. When I have to have something different, I like their lasagna. Good dependable food, and lots of it for the money. We take picky eaters here, since they're sure to find something they'll like. Out of town guests like it too. Hint: desserts purchased at the to go counter are cheaper than the menu prices.
November 15, 1996
I always enjoy going to max's. Excellent Sandwiches and the desserts are AWESOME! It does tend to get very crowded during lunch, so go prepared to wait.
September 26, 1996
David R.
Overall this is a good place for sandwiches, pasta, and other dishes. Their french fries are outstanding. Steer clear of the hamburgers, though. They tend to give you large portions but they charge a little more too. The desserts are good and large. The atmosphere is pleasant, but can be noisy when the place is crowded. The service can be slow at times also. The waiters tend to think you're their best friend. Overall I do recommend this place.