John Bentley's

Category: Continental

Recent Reviews for John Bentley's
August 20, 1999
Greg B.
Ate here with several friends -all of whom were pleased by the food. Good chops, steaks, can't remember much of the rest except for excelent desserts.
January 7, 1998
Alex B.
My dinner companions and I were delightfully surprised by the quality of food and service at this restaurant. Fresh and high quality ingredients appear to be the underpinnings. Also, the menu is interesting and shows some creative spin on familiar dishes. The wine list is not extensive, but carefully chosen. We found the staff quite wine-knowledgeable and challenged us to try unfamiliar bottles that pleased us. The room is cozy (read: a bit cramp), but the chairs are quite comfortable and the overall decor is plainly modern, but warm and romantic. I'd certainly return to this restaurant and highly recommend it, especially to folks around the Peninsula who yearns for fine dining. Caveats: Woodside Road West at night is quite dark and a bit tough to drive, parking is limited, the restaurant is small so it could fill up right away and it could be tough for large parties.
May 29, 1997
My wife and have eaten here several times and have never been displeased. I'm sorry that the reviews todate have not been noteworthy. This restaurant is one of the highlights of the bay area. John Bentley himself oversees all of the activities. Yes it is expensive, but, well worth the money! The food is fresh and is well prepared. The wine list may be short but the wines on hand are a good selections. The wait staff is made up from professionals; always friendly (not students). The desserts and appetizers are outstanding.
May 3, 1996
Dick M.
Save your money, Terri! Salad, entreé, wine, dessert & coffee added up to $50 per person, and only the desserts were something to dream about! My spinach salad was a little too "wilted", and for $20 I expected more than 4 scallops in my entreé. The wine list is short but fairly good, and the pricing is the usual restaurant ripoff - wines that retail for $16 are $40 or so when served. On the positive side, everyone in our party raved about their desserts. My apple tart was delicious, and so was the chocolate torte I tasted. Service was friendly but slow - 2½ hours for a party of 6 on a Thursday. The tiny restaurant was nearly full, so it may have been kitchen limitations.
March 8, 1996
I know this is a new restaurant and have read some good reviews. It would be a shame to overlook, particularly if the critics were correct. (I believe the Palo Alto Weekly and, possibly, the San Jose Mercury News had recent reviews.) Please submit reviews, as I'm still supporting my student husband and can only dream of fine dining. Thanks!