Steps of Rome Trattoria

Category: Italian

Recent Reviews for Steps of Rome Trattoria
November 5, 1999
Judy J.
To be honestly, the food and drink were pretty good here; but the space is too crowded. If you are only here for dessert and coffee, I suggest you go to other places. Lots of tables here are preserved for people who want to have dinner. You can still order drink and dessert at the counter if there is no table available for dessert only, but then you have to choose to stand and eat food at either the counter or the sidewalk outside. Last time, when I took my friend there, we tried to find a table to sit down after we ordered our dessert and coffee, but several times we were told by the waiters-- this table is for dinner and that one is also for dinner....... So finally, we both stood helplessly in the door with the dessert and coffee we just ordered in both hands, and we didn't know what to do. The waiters saw our embarrassing situation, hey, guess what??? THEY PRETENDED NOT TO SEE US OVER THERE. Isn't the place also a coffee house?????? If the owner really only favor peop ... more
June 6, 1999
This restaurant is excellent. The atmosphere was very fun. Ienjoyed the singing waiters. I had the waiter suggest a red wine for me and a white wine for my partner and they both were wonderful.Our meals were delicious. I ordered a broccoli and garlic sauce for my pasta, my partner ordered a pasta with a red sauce that had sausage and mushrooms. Neither of us were disappointed. The food and service was excellent. Judging from others' reviews... next time I'll have to try the coffee and desserts :)
June 21, 1998
I must admit I am an employee of the Steps of Rome, but I am writing to let you know of our other location in the same block of Columbus Ave in San Francisco. It is the Steps of Rome at 348 Columbus Ave, San Francisco Ca 94133.(not to be confused with our dinner-only Steps of Rome Trattoria, which you already have listed on your site. THANKS!!). The Steps of Rome is a coffehouse/restaurant serving food, drinks and desserts from 8:30am until 3am on Fri & Sat and until 2am Sun thru Thurs.Phone (415)397-0435). We have great pastas, sandwiches, desserts and have won numerous awards for the best authetic Italian coffee in California. It is a great place to see all the world cup soccer games via sattelite, read international newspapers or just people watch from the many sidewalk seats. At night it becomes the hippest and most popular place in North Beach to see and be seen. Known as a great place to see young celebrities as well as Italian born young fashion plates on the prowl.It is really ... more
June 11, 1998
I have to say, I'm only familiar with the desserts & the coffee, but this has ALWAYS, in all of its incarnations over the past 8 years I've been here, been the BEST place in the City to get gelato & desserts. The coffee is lovely as well, and I LOVE the atmosphere of the place. Last week when I went there, the staff (mostly or all Italians!) was singing along with the Italian pop music. I love this place, and I'll forego dessert at even the best restaurants in that area to go to the Steps of Rome. Tomorrow a friend comes into town for the first time, and I'm DEFININTELY taking her there! Buon Gusto! Sometime I'll have to check out the dinners :-)
March 5, 1997
My first trip to San Francisco and I was walking on columbus street and I was hungry. Loving Italian cusine, I was happy to walk through Little Italy. The service was amazing at this restaurant. I just asked the waiter to bring me what he liked personally and I was not let down! The food was wonderful!
December 12, 1996
Tom M.
Very good authentic food. The food and service is very good. Be sure to try the specials and desserts, they're outstanding. One of the best Italian restaurants in the area. Very friendly and cozy.