Max's Opera Cafe

Recent Reviews for Max's Opera Cafe
February 18, 2009
Isuara D.
Bay Area , California
Chain Jewish-like deli. Not like the east coast, but at least you can get some favourites such as matzoh ball soup, chopped liver, kosher pickles etc... Big plates and average quality.
May 6, 2005
Nancy S.
San Francisco , California
247 reviews , 1 photo
Max's is a chain, but it's so much better than the typical chain restaurant. The outstanding thing about Max's are the desserts. My favorite is the Niagara Falls cake, but just about anything you try from the huge macaroon to the ice cream cheesecake to the low carb desserts are all excellent. If you want a good corned beef sandwich or excellent matzah ball soup, this is the place for you. My favorites include the cheeseburger, the philly chicken sandwich, the chopped liver (like my mom makes) and the pulled pork. I like about everything on their menu, and if you have picky eaters I'm sure they can find something on this menu that they would like. It's crowded most of the time for lunch or dinner, so if you are in a rush this may not be the place to go.
December 31, 2003
Lucinda H.
Fremont , California
For a chain, I think this place is pretty good. I like the matzo ball soup, but then I'm not Jewish so I don't really know how it is supposed to taste. I like their Chicken Marsala, too. The best thing here is the strawberry shortcake which is only available when berries are in season. Decadent!
February 5, 2001
John W.
Fremont , California
Max's is great. It can get very crowded, and the service can get slow, but it's got nice atmosphere, and a fantastic selection of really good food. One door says, "This is a bad place for a diet." The other door says, "This is a great place for a diet." Both are correct! But if you're going to go, eat. Check out all the desserts on your way to the table, then share a couple. Max's has excellent latkes, among other things. You've gotta go.
August 9, 2000
Ken F.
This is a very unique place to enjoy with friends for special occasions. Many of the meal attendants are studying to be vocalists, so you can see them practice. The food and dessert selection is good with moderate portions. Gets crowded because it is next to the mall.
February 15, 1998
We ate upscale here. The dishes were all well-prepared, and we came away very satisfied. Service was attentive. My children were surprisingly happy. So a good combination, but it was an expensive meal.
April 7, 1997
Lisa F.
This is a really great restaurant for lunch or casual dining. There is usually a wait because the food is GOOD! Max's offers a lively atmosphere and great selection of food; there are many different dishes to choose from. They serve the sandwiches without condiments, so you can fix it the way you like best. The selection of desserts are varied and huge! Come prepared to ask for a doggy bag! I find I like Max's best at odd times, such as late afternoon, when there is no wait. The service is more prompt and the environment a little quieter. However, this restaurant is well worth checking out at any time of day.
October 30, 1996
I have only visted this palce 3 times, once was to attend a "Mystery" dinner. The "mystery" dinner was not that great. The focus was on the "Mystery" and not the food. The other two times were for lunches. The lunches were good, but not great. As everyone mentions, the portons are huge, but I would like to see them focus on more quality, variety, and presentation before I would give them four or five stars. I have had to wait even though I had reservations, but if you don't mind dinning early, there is usually no waiting.
July 29, 1996
Gary B.
Despite some of the nasty comments about the wait you find here at Max's I've found that you can get around it easily enough by simply making reservations (which they even allow the same day). You'd best bring a big appetite though, because these folks are right, the portions are huge. I mean the matzo balls in the matzo ball soup are as big as a cue ball. This is perhaps my favorite place to eat in the Stanford area. Oh and did we talk about desserts? They have to card you if you order chocolate, no joke it's that serious. One final note, the waiters and waitresses are all singers. The music portion starts around 6:00pm every night and is definately worth the trip. Makes for a great date, but not a first one, it gets a bit noisy in there.
April 19, 1996
Should you judge a Jewish deli [restaurant] by its matzo ball soup? If so, Max's doesn't cut it. Not enough chicken flavor and too bland. The outrageous volume of food served up is impressive but the taste of the sandwiches just isn't quite there. Fun place, not cheap, I give it a 2-1/2, no, 3 stars.