The Blue Nile

Recent Reviews for The Blue Nile
November 6, 2003
Alex M.
berkeley , California
blue nile is to ethopian food as la burrita on durant is to mexican food. cheap and dirty solution to a really good thing. yeah, this place isn't the real deal but its all berkeley has besides a few other establishments. the staff was not rude but not especially attentive... we had to wait a while for service, refills, and condiments and such. won't go unless i get a bad craving for it...often happens though.
July 14, 2000
Rachel P.
New Britain , Connecticut
I really love Ethiopian food, but I am not a big enthusiast about the Blue-nile. The service doesn't quite meet up to the standards of the ethiopia restaurant down the block. However the food here is really quite good and the atmosphere is also a sight to be seen. The food didn't have the spicing precisely right, but I did enjoy my meal anyhow. I would have really really apprciated a refill on my water. It really was not busy in the establishment at all. I wanted almost to go and use the bathroom sink!
July 12, 2000
Renato C.
santiago ,
Blue Nile was my first introduction to Ethiopian cuisine. As I've not eaten in many other places, there food is still very good. I especially enjoyed the vegetarian combo with a variety of items: collard greens, lentils, yellow split peas. The injera bread was nice and warm. I appreciated the warm, moist towels to clean up with afterwards. I vouch for the veggie platter with its perfect spice combinations. Give it a try.
May 12, 2000
Andrea M.
San Ramon , California
The food is quite good. I really like the sampler plate. Don't come here if you are really hungry. The portions are pretty small. The wait staff isn't very attentive. However, regardless of these things, it is worth it.
April 25, 2000
J C.
oakland , California
i enjoy the atmosphere of this establishment, & while the wait staff often seems in a different world, the hostess proves very attentive. i like the food, but i think they should serve larger portions. also, i wish they would add more spices to their mesobs & forego the rice. still, i keep coming back. ;)
January 29, 2000
Khurshid K.
I've had Ethipian food in both Chicago and DC that would make the Blue Nile green with envy. The food here was lackluster and the service quite poor--though I kinda liked the atmosphere. If you want good Ethiopian/Eritrean food, go to Caffe Collucci (sp?) or the Red Sea--both in north Oakland. These places ar head and shoulders above the Blue Nile--though still nothing in comparison to the establishments in Adams-Morgan (Washington, DC) or Wrigleyville (Chicago).
November 22, 1999
Charles D.
Good for something different. Only been a couple of times, but was not disappointed in the food. Could do something about the decor.
September 24, 1999
Peter H.
Different, very good, Check it out at least once, no disappointments.
April 5, 1997
I've been here about four times in about eight years and I truly enjoy the food. But it is not the place to go for elegance. This place is very Berkeley - casual. They have a nice vegetarian selection. The injera is good. But the darkness of the Blue Nile (regardless of time of day) is very uncomfortable to me.