Sahari

Recent Reviews for Sahari
January 27, 2010
Hay C.
shtown , Montana
I decided to try out some Egyptian food and I'm pretty glad I did. The food here, though different, was very tasty. The owner is a great and friendly guy as well.
July 28, 2009
Mike S.
oak park , Illinois
September 20, 2005
I love this place. The owner, Sam, will bend over backwards to provide you with a wonderful meal. I recommend this restaurant to everyone. <br> The food is tasty, fresh, and consistent. The Hummus is to die for! Um Ali is the most exotic dessert, a unique bread pudding with almonds, coconut, golden raisins, rose water, pistachios. Not available often, but if you get on his preferred list, he will call you when he has it available. Addictive!
June 8, 2005
The food is not really true Egyptian. Egyptian cuisine is actually very greasy and not always flavorful. Sam (the owner) has managed to upgrade the Egyptian and other Middle Eastern dishes to a much higher level. His variations include much more flavor. The portions are always more than I can eat, and I have a big appetite. Service is very personal and friendly. Aske about any specials since not everything is on the menu, and at times things on the menu are not always availaable. <br> A great place to go to have well flavored, fresh food, and a relaxing dinner. The decor is pleasant and not overdone.
March 7, 2004
Bob N.
Sunnyvale , California
Sam, the owner, is warm and personable, and happy to guide you through the menu. The food is wonderful, with unusual aromas and flavors. There are usually one or two specials that are not on the menu, especially if you arrive early in the evening. <br> I've tried pretty much every item here, and never been disappointed. <br> It's also great for people on a diet. I often order a full dinner, while my wife orders a salad and falafel.. And, as has been noted, there are a number of vegetarian choices.
November 30, 2002
Tim O.
Sunnyvale , California
As others have noted, there is only one waiter so if there are more than a few occupied tables (there are a total of 12 available) service can be slow. The food is good, the decor interesting, the waiter friendly. We had the Falafel Appetizer, Nory Gyros (Rotissserie roast beef & lamb served with yogurt sauce over rice with vegetables), Kero Chickent Shawerma (Griulled chicken breast thinly cut marinated in Middle Eastern herbs and spices served over rice with vegetables), and lemonade -- all quite good. The broccoli and carots were slightly overcooked by Californian standards (where crispy is common) but that's ok -- different cuisine, different style. The waiter is the man with the white shirt and tie featured on the restaurant's web page at http://www.saharirestaurant.com/
February 8, 2002
Yepbupkis
Anonymous , California
Atmosphere: Average to above average Crowd: Varies Dress: Casual Food: Excellent Noise: Average Service: Average to above average Comments: I went here tonight for dinner. The place was somewhat empty (one family, an individual, and two friends). Though the place is located in a run-down strip mall from the 70's (or 60's) and the actual building is quite distasteful, much Egyptian decor lines the walls and inspires interest. I was seated. I ordered the pita bread ($1.75) as an appetizer. It was VERY good and I ordered the Marry Platter ($8.95 - Garbanzo beans with olive oil and other things and seasoned rice). It was both very different and very good. Though the service was pretty slow, considering the owner was doing everthing himself, it was adequate. I recommend Sahari for excellent Egyptian food at a reasonable price.
August 2, 2001
This is the worst restaurant I have been to in terms of food. I paid $12 (with tax and tip) for the equivalent of microwaved frozen vegetables on seasoned rice. If you want Eqyptian food, try middle eastern nearby. About the same fare as served at Sahari. The service was courteous. My friend and I were the only ones in the restaurant.
September 18, 2000
Anonymous I.
Santa Clara , California
Food is consistently good and service is courteous, though sometimes slow. The owner/waiter seems to be a bit overworked if there are more than three occupied tables. Been there several times, only minor complaint is that once the waiter spent too much time chatting with some customer who spoke his language, while we were twiddling our thumbs and waiting...
June 13, 2000
Jm V.
Cupertino , California
In an attempt to experiment with different foods, I ran across Sahari on dine.com and decided to try it out. It was very interesting, my first shot at Egyptian food actually. Please excuse that I can't remember what it's called, I had what they described as a sandwitch on the menu, but really turned out to be more of a burrito. The flavor was very mild, yet filling. Only down side was that when I went (noon), the place was very empty and a few more people chatting and making ambient noise would have been nice.